Subject: [Ecrit] FW: NENA Comments on draft-ietf-ecrit-requirements-00 - Basis for mapping

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:14:33 -0400

<due to an error on my part, this didn't make it to the list>

More comments from NENA:

We requested that a requirement be included that specified that altitude
could be used in mapping.  An example is a high rise where some floors are
served by a local response capability (perhaps a college campus police
force) where other floors are served by the municipal police.  We find no
such requirement. Actually, we think any combination of PIDF-LO fields could
be used for mapping.
13. We did not find an equivalent to our 3.6-8:  Boundaries for civic
routing must be able to be specific to a street address range, a side of a
street (even/odd street addresses), a building within a campus or any of the
location fields available.  This is an essential requirement. 

Similarly, 3.6-9:  It must be possible to use various combined components of
the location object for determination of routing.  Some areas may only
require routing to a country level, others to a state/province, others to a
county, or to a municipality, and so on.  No assumption should be made on
the granularity of routing boundaries or about the combination of components
used.  This is particularly important in countries with less well developed
emergency calling systems.  We believe everyone intends to do this, but the
requirement to do so is not stated. 

We have discussed, in ecrit and in geopriv, the issue of a location having a
postal community name, and the actual legal community name.  The mapping
function needs to be aware of this difference in one way or another. 
Generally, you need to be able to query with either, and if exactly one
record matches, you use that for the mapping.  There needs to be a way to
resolve possible conflicts where there is no single match.  In our view,
this is part of the validation process.  If a mapping is requested where
there is no unique match, then alternatives could be presented.  You would
wish to determine this ahead of time so that a correct location was
determined.  Further, if you present the postal community name for mapping,
and there is exactly one match, you need to return the actual community
name. 

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit