Subject: [Ecrit] LUMP and mapping architecture documents

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:17:48 -0400

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/draft/lump-arch/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-mapping-arch-00.html

describes an overall architecture that allows fully distributed mapping. 
   It is relatively protocol-agnostic, although it clearly wouldn't work 
(or be needed) for a DNS-based solution. In its simplest incarnation, it 
consists of a single server, but I was trying to come up with something 
that can scale to global deployment. It separates the problem into four 
roles (queriers, authoritative servers, forest guides and resolvers), 
each with a distinct set of responsibilities, even though the number of 
protocol operations is not as large. The split was motivated by my 
desire to allow for a system that is operated by a variety of parties 
and requiring minimal cooperation and turf fights. (I think that's one 
of the strengths of the DNS, for example, except for the "who owns the 
root" fight breaking out between Oceania and Eurasia.)

The protocol pieces are now in

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/draft/lump/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-lump-01.html

This is essentially just a commented WSDL and XML schema description, 
with two requests, to get a mapping and to get a region. This covers 
some of the interfaces described in the architecture document and is 
sufficient for the querier-resolver or resolver-authoritative server 
component, but not for the inter-forest-guide protocol machinery.

This is not yet complete, but eventually, one should be able to 
automatically generate the protocol machinery from the WSDL file, e.g., 
using the GLUE, WebSphere or Apache AXIS server (or .NET).

I've only described a SOAP binding in the document, but any web services 
binding would work, including (but not very usefully...) email and, more 
usefully, a simple REST-style HTTP GET operation.

Comments would be particularly appreciated.

Henning

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:41:56 -0500

I can answer that one.

gml:_Feature is the correct object, based on the PIDF-LO spec.  This element is the abstract head of a substitution group that includes gml:position.

Cheers,
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henning Schulzrinne
Sent: Wednesday, 26 October 2005 11:38 AM
To: Winterbottom, James; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] LUMP and mapping architecture documents

Thanks - yes, the dangers of relying too much on XMLspy rather than 
validation by human inspection :-)

More seriously: What would be the appropriate XML object for geo only? 
gml:position?

Thanks.

Henning

Winterbottom, James wrote:
> Hi Henning,
> 
> I will have more comments on this draft later.
> But for now there is a clear mistake in the XML in that your geo option
> is using a type of "ca:civicAddress"
> 
> *8)
> 
> Cheers
> James 
> 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

---

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:43:48 -0500

I think that I would also make reference to the PIDF-LO profile document
recommended representations.

> From: Thomson, Martin
> Sent: Wednesday, 26 October 2005 11:42 AM
> To: Henning Schulzrinne; Winterbottom, James; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Ecrit] LUMP and mapping architecture documents
> 
> I can answer that one.
> 
> gml:_Feature is the correct object, based on the PIDF-LO spec.  This
> element is the abstract head of a substitution group that includes
> gml:position.
> 
> Cheers,
> Martin
> 
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
> Henning Schulzrinne