Subject: [Ecrit] Clarifications and Current Status

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 00:09:34 +0200

Hi all, 

Based on the recent discussions on the mailing list we (the chairs) had
an off-line discussions with our ADs. They expressed the desire to make
progress with our chartered items before we enhance the scope of our
work. 

During the interim meeting we already discussed the need for an
additional document. The recent contribution by James and Andy provides
an input to the architecture discussion in addition to Henning's
previous architecture
document. There is no problem to have these type of discussions in the
working group. Ideally, they should help us to make better progress of
the requirements/threats document. However, we do not want to create an
artifical dependency between such a "framework" and the
requirements/threats documents.  

The chairs are convinced that the work on the mapping protocol (as part
of the requirements, the security threats and finally as a protocol
solution) is certainly not a wrong approach even if we recognize that
additional work
needs to be started once we understand the architecture entirely.
Although this is the main focus of our work the requirements and the
security threats document go beyond describing purely mapping protocol
specific requirements and threats (at least in some places). If the
additionally described aspects are within the scope of the charter and
do not prevent us from making progress then there might not be a reason
to drop them from the existing documents.  For the sake of making
progress it might be better to postpone additional requirements and
their solutions to a later stage. 

In the last few weeks we have received a number of review comments for
the requirements document. The security threats document has not seen
the same number of reviews. This is somewhat unfortunate since the
security aspects demand our attention. For the next IETF meeting we will
see a draft update of the requirements document. Regarding the security
threats document Tom might also be willing to produce a draft update if
we receive review comments. Finally, the chairs hope to see draft
updates of the mapping protocol proposals reflecting the feedback from
the last IETF meeting and also from the mailing list discussions. Please
keep the deadlines in mind. 

Ciao
Hannes & Marc

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit