Subject: [Ecrit] Editorial comments on ecrit-requirements-00 section 1, Introduction

From: "Roger Marshall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:13:58 -0700

All:
Baseline document is
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ecrit-requirements-00.txt

See comments in-line within "[brackets]".

[rsm - Reworded text as related to the upper portion of Section 1,
(Introduction), changed for readability.  Here's how the proposed text
reads:

Users of both voice-centric (telephone-like) and non voice type 
services (e.g. text messaging for hearing disabled users, 
(RFC 3351) have an expectation to be able to initiate a request 
for help in case of an emergency.

Unfortunately, the existing mechanisms to support emergency calls 
that have evolved within the public 
circuit-switched telephone network (PSTN), are not appropriate to 
handle evolving IP-based voice, text and real-time multimedia 
communications.  This document outlines the key requirements 
that IP-based end systems and network elements, such as SIP proxies, 
need to satisfy in order to provide emergency call services, which at 
a minimum, offer the same functionality as existing PSTN services, with 
the additional overall goal of making emergency calling more robust, 
less-costly to implement, and multimedia-capable.

[rsm - Consolidated original paragraphs 1 and 2, and modified the
wording in the 
original paragraph 3.]

Thanks.

Roger Marshall.

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit