Subject: RE: [Ecrit] How to verify that the call is addressed to a PSAP?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:06:27 -0000

Tom

My understanding is that is not that authentication should not happen it
just that this procedure for an emergency 'call' should not hold up the
setting up of this 'call'. 

So the normal authentication of the call can still happen and then there
is no special verification query which I would hope would keep the costs
of supporting emergency sessions down to a minimum.

This would of course raises the problem of what happens if the
authentication 'fails', how is the 'call' handled? For this I would pass
this information to the PSAP and let them deal with it and do nothing
with the 'call'.

Regards

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Tom-PT Taylor
Sent: 21 December 2005 15:38
To: ECRIT
Subject: [Ecrit] How to verify that the call is addressed to a PSAP?

There is a requirement (too lazy to look up the number) that a call 
routing element (e.g. SIP proxy) handling a call with an emergency 
identifier must ensure that it is directed to a PSAP.  We've refined 
this slightly in the security draft to say that this is necessary only 
if the call routing element would normally authenticate the caller for 
billing or authorization, but doesn't because it's an emergency call.

Anyway, this raises the question: how does such a verification take 
place?  Do we think of this as a different type of query on the mapping 
database: is this destination URI one of the ones you map to?

Tom Taylor

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit