Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Services with same Service Number

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:53:17 EST

Clarifying regarding the two examples (suicide hotline and poison centers),  
in US, they are 800-type 10-digit numbers which are routed to appropriate  
state/regional/local center (when possible). 
 
Rick Jones

In a message dated 1/15/2008 2:39:48 P.M. Central Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Karl

If I understand your question correctly, dialing 911 in the  US 
doesn't separate police from fire from several other services -- all  
these types of calls (save for some like the suicide hotline and  
poison) are answered by the same call center within a geopraphic 
area,  and the call taker decides where to direct the call (i.e., to 
the police,  or to the fire department or to an ambulance or mountain 
rescue or  emergency forest service).  This is pretty universal within 
the US.  There are no (that I know of) 3 digit dial-strings for poison 
centers or  suicide hotlines. Each of these is at least 7 digits long, 
and sometimes  10 digits long (if an area requires an area code before 
each 7 digit  number).

Again, I may have misunderstood what you are  asking

Hope this helps

James

At 08:25 AM 1/15/2008, Karl  Heinz Wolf wrote:
>I tried the LoST Server implementation available  at:
>
>http://honamsun.cs.columbia.edu/lost_homepage/
>
>I  did a listServicesByLocation and then requested a mapping for all
>the  services with the sample US location. What confuses me is the
>fact,  that there are different services all with the same service
>number 911  (but different SIP URIs).
>A user is expected to dial the service number  in case of emergency, in
>this case 911. Which service should the client  choose then?
>sos.police, sos.poison?
>
>By the way: I  looked at listServices and listServicesByLocation
>(Section 10 and 11 in  the lost draft). The listServicesByLocation
>explicitly says that the  LoST server returns only child services. In
>the section above,  listServices, this is not noted (but the examples
>just show child  services). Is this intended?
>
>cheers
>karl  heinz
>
>_______________________________________________
>Ecrit  mailing  list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

_______________________________________________
Ecrit  mailing  list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

**************Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.     
http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489
_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:44:19 -0500

Yes, but there is no reason we could not map the 800 number into a service
URN and then route based on location to the correct suicide hotline or
poison control center.  The exact same strategy could be used to call Pizza
Hut using LoST to route the call to the correct pizza parlor.

Lost should be able to return the 800 number as the dial string for the
service.  It's not clear to me that the endpoint would do the mapping for
such a service.

Brian

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:53 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Services with same Service Number

Rick Jones

Karl

Hope this helps

James

  _____  

Start the year off right. Easy
<http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>
ways to stay in shape in the new year.