Subject: [Ecrit] Emergency Text Messaging Contributions

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:24:23 +0200

Hi Henning, Jong, Wonsang, Piotr, Michael, 

Thanks for your contributions regarding emergency text messaging. I
looked at two documents, namely at your draft and your paper. The two
documents are: 

---------------------------

*** draft draft-kim-ecrit-text-00
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-kim-ecrit-text-00.txt

    Abstract: 

This memo describes best current practices on how to use the SIP MESSAGE
method for emergency text messaging from citizen and visitors to
authorities.

*** Using IM and SMS for for Emergency Text Communications
http://iptcomm.org/iptcomm2009papers/1569204635.pdf

    Abstract:

Currently, text communication cannot be used to ask for help in
emergency situations. Even in the Next Generation 9-1-1 system, an
IP/SIP-based emergency communication system, there has been no
investigation into how text communications such as Instant Messaging
(IM) and Short Message Service (SMS) can be integrated. We identify the
technical challenges in the integration of IM and SMS networks with the
NG9-1-1 system, and propose a solution for each challenge. We also
describe a working prototype system using our approach.

---------------------------

I was wonder whether you have had some thoughts already of what should
be done in the ECRIT working group with your new draft.

* Are you requesting a presentation slot for the next IETF meeting? 

* Are you suggesting that the group investigates different alternatives
for emergency text messaging (e.g., session-based and non-session based
methods)?

Ciao
Hannes

PS: You might find it interesting that NENA has also done some work in
this area (including a detailed scenario activity in the NG Messaging
working group). Additionally, there are two EU funded projects
investigating this subject, namely the REACH-112 project and the PEACE
project.