Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Upcoming ES Conference Call, Friday 2 pm PST

From: Marc Linsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:16:26 -0500

Geoff,

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the conference call below.  I did
however quickly peruse your documents at the given URL.  I will take the
time to review them in depth later, but my reaction at this point is that
you have not correctly captured the ECRIT Requirements for 802.

A few glaring points:

- ECRIT does not have a requirement for support of unauthenticated access.
- ECRIT does not have a requirement for emergency calls given 'priority in
the 802 network'
- In the context of 802, I'm not sure what is meant by "Callback is
currently a problem"
- I'm not sure what is meant by "Provide better location than just the
router"

I will review the documents in more depth in the upcoming days and provide
more input.

Please feel free to discuss your ideas within the ECRIT list, and more
importantly, please review the ECRIT WG documents.  There is an important
distinction between WG documents and individuals submissions.  So feel free
to ask questions regarding any document you read with 'ECRIT' in the title.

Thanks,

-Marc Linsner-
IETF ECRIT Co-chair

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Geoff Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Upcoming ES Conference Call, Friday 2 pm PST

Colleagues-

At our interim meeting in La Jolla we completed work on our PAR & 5
Criteria and approved them for distribution to the 802 EC in time to be
considered at the March Plenary

That material may be found at:
https://mentor.ieee.org/802-sg-emergency-services/documents
as 2010 Document # 9

We also did a fair amount of work preparing material for the Tutorial
that we are supposed to give in March and arranged a time slot for an
initial conference call to do further work on the tutorial material.

That call will be held:
     Date:        Friday, January 29, 2010
     Time:       2:00 PM PST
     Phone:     1 (218) 862-6420
     Code:       893-0211

Agenda
     - Quick review of actions since the interim
     - Further work on Tutorial
     - Plan for future conference calls

I look forward to your participation on the call.

Best regards,

Geoff

Geoffrey O. Thompson
Chair, 802 Emergency Services EC Study Group
Member Emeritus, 802 Executive Committee
GraCaSI Standards Advisory Services
<[email-masked]>

+1.650.938.2582
+1.540.227.0059    (Google Voice) <= Best bet

------ End of Forwarded Message

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:23:30 -0800

Some comments on the requirements document:
https://mentor.ieee.org/802-sg-emergency-services/dcn/10/sg-emergency-servic
es-10-0018-00-ESSG-presentation-to-802-1-referenced-reqts.pdf

1. It is possible to track endpoint location in IEEE 802 networks using
existing MIBs and protocols defined in IEEE 802 documents. Therefore before
creating yet another approach, it would be useful to understand how what is
being proposed would be different (and presumably better) than what already
exists. SNMP approaches include the LLDP-MED MIB (which provides endpoint
location information within an SNMP Trap, which is more convenient and less
prone to fragmentation than polling), as well as approaches  utilizing
combinations of the Bridge MIB (RFC 4188, now owned by IEEE 802.1) and the
IP MIB (RFC 4293).   Another way of obtaining this information is via RADIUS
(described in IEEE 802.1X-2004 and RFC 3580) which can be used both in
authenticated (IEEE 802.1X) and non-authenticating modes (via "Call Check").

2. IEEE 802.1 recently completed IEEE 802.1X-REV, which among other things,
enables simultaneous support for authenticated and non-authenticated access.
As a result, it's not clear to me that this represents a gap. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Marc Linsner
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Upcoming ES Conference Call, Friday 2 pm PST

Geoff,

A few glaring points:

Thanks,

-Marc Linsner-
IETF ECRIT Co-chair

-----Original Message-----

Colleagues-

That call will be held:

Agenda

Best regards,

Geoff

Geoffrey O. Thompson

+1.650.938.2582

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit