Subject: [Ecrit] Justification for Data-only (and MSRP only) car-crash

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 20:58:44 +0000

Although current car telematics systems always have an audio path, there are scenarios where a data-only call is desired.  There are, for example, truck telematics systems that only send data.  There are failure scenarios where an audio path can’t be created.  There are newer, lower cost systems that don’t involve a call center.  In addition, there could be text-only calls, rather than audio.

I would like to see these allowed in -car–crash.  Due to limitations and design decisions in 3GPP, this capability is not possible in ecall, and thus this text would have to be specific to -car–crash.

Brian

---

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 21:01:39 +0000

And without a change to 3GPP specifications (starting from 3GPP TS 22.101), would also be precluded from a 3GPP emergency call.

3GPP emergency calls essentially make the provision of a voice media path as mandatory. What you have in addition to that is more flexible, but the PSAP expects a voice path to be supported.

Keith

________________________________
From: Ecrit [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rosen, Brian
Sent: 24 March 2015 20:59
To: Randall Gellens
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ecrit] Justification for Data-only (and MSRP only) car-crash

Although current car telematics systems always have an audio path, there are scenarios where a data-only call is desired.  There are, for example, truck telematics systems that only send data.  There are failure scenarios where an audio path can't be created.  There are newer, lower cost systems that don't involve a call center.  In addition, there could be text-only calls, rather than audio.

I would like to see these allowed in -car-crash.  Due to limitations and design decisions in 3GPP, this capability is not possible in ecall, and thus this text would have to be specific to -car-crash.

Brian

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 20:28:02 -0700

Hi Brian,

At 8:58 PM +0000 3/24/15, Brian Rosen wrote:

>  Although current car telematics systems always have an audio path, 
> there are scenarios where a data-only call is desired.  There are, 
> for example, truck telematics systems that only send data.

To clarify, we're talking about systems that exchange data between 
the vehicle and a service provider/dispatch center; we're not talking 
about emergency calls, right?

>    There are failure scenarios where an audio path can't be created.

I think in these cases an audio path was attempted but failed, so 
there is still a SIP session and there was an intent to have a voice 
path.  So, I consider these failure modes of the primary emergency 
mechanism, not a data-only call (where there was never any intent to 
have interactive media nor a SIP session).

>    There are newer, lower cost systems that don't involve a call center.

If we're talking about the same thing, these are described in the 
draft, and these do establish a voice path to the PSAP, either direct 
from the vehicle to the PSAP (NG9-1-1 call from the IVS) or via a 
previously-paired handset that places a 911 call.

>    In addition, there could be text-only calls, rather than audio.

Probably these would still have an audio path so the PSAP call taker 
can hear what is going on, but I don't think the details of the media 
matter.  What matters is that these are still NG9-1-1 calls that 
create a SIP session and establish interactive media.  In 3GPP, this 
is Multimedia Emergency Services (MMES).

>  I would like to see these allowed in -car-crash.  Due to 
> limitations and design decisions in 3GPP, this capability is not 
> possible in ecall, and thus this text would have to be specific to 
> -car-crash.

The only one of these that I think isn't currently permitted is the 
telematics case where no emergency call is placed.  I'd be happy to 
add this, but in Additional-Data we said that the mechanism is only 
to be used in emergency calls.  We could change that to include 
emergency calls and private/limited use between pre-established 
endpoints or some such.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything;
the young know everything.

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:54:26 +0000

>about emergency calls, right?
No, these are rollover and other sensors that currently just report to the
owner of the trucking company but should send non-human-initiated
emergency calls.

>have interactive media nor a SIP session).
No, I was thinking of cases where an audio call would fail, but a data
only call would succeed.

>previously-paired handset that places a 911 call.
No, the device connected to the vehicle is not a handset.  They are
plugging in to the car diagnostic connector. Some use a handset to send
data, others have a wireless modem.  In either case, the only connection
is data.

I don’t think an app can, or should be able to induce a handset to create
a 9-1-1 call.  Apps can request the dialer to place a call, but it
requires confirmation.  In this case, that would not be the desired
response.

>is Multimedia Emergency Services (MMES).
Remember that there are documented cases where no audio path is required.
Text emergency calls today DO NOT create audio paths, and they should not.
 It should be possible to create a multimedia emergency call, but it is
not, and should not, be required.

>emergency calls and private/limited use between pre-established
Not asking for that.  Emergency calls only

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:08:29 -0700

Hi Brian,

>  owner of the trucking company but should send non-human-initiated

This is a call between the vehicle and the data center, right?  The 
vehicle is not placing an emergency call to a PSAP?  That's what 
"just report to the owner of the trucking company" means, right?  If 
so, I think we're talking about the same thing, which is use of the 
specification for communication between a vehicle and a data center 
or TSP or whatever.  We can add support for this, but I think we'd 
have to tweak the wording in additional-data to do so to relax the 
"for emergency call use only" to include something like "cooperating 
service between cooperating endpoints" or some such.

>  No, I was thinking of cases where an audio call would fail, but a data

Does the vehicle attempt an audio call?  If so, does the SIP session 
get established but the audio media path fails?  If not, what are we 
talking about?

>  data, others have a wireless modem.  In either case, the only connection

Are we talking about systems that place an emergency call to the 
PSAP?  Or are we talking about systems that exchange data with an 
entity that isn't a PSAP?

>  I don't think an app can, or should be able to induce a handset to create

There are currently deployed systems that use a paired handset to 
place a 9-1-1 call.  There are other currently deployed systems that 
use an in-built system containing a cell modem to place a 9-1-1 call. 
Are you talking about these, or something else?

>  not, and should not, be required.

We're talking about situations where the desired outcome is an 
emergency call with interactive text (either character at a time or 
message at a time)?  If so, then we're talking about the same thing: 
an emergency call with a SIP session and some form(s) of interactive 
media.

>  Not asking for that.  Emergency calls only

How is it an emergency call if the vehicle is exchanging data with 
the trucking company or a dispatch center or some other entity?

-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
Never Withhold Herpes Infection from Loved One
--Newspaper headline