Subject: Simple Questions?

From: Taisto Qvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:30:28 +0100

Hello EDI-INT!

The past weeks i have been reading up on the EDI universe, at
all places I could find, about things such as UNECE, CEFACT, EDIFACT,
EWG
OO-EDI, X12, xmledi-group, ebXML, X.435, and naturally..EDIINT drafts
and mailing list. (its taken a while, I assure you)
I was wondering if you could help me clarify some simple things.

As far as i have understood the AS1 and AS2 dokuments are close to
being finished. But how close?
I dont mean specific date's here, just to know if you *still* are simply
waiting on clearance from above,(iesg?) or are there still issues to be
defined
and discussed in the wg before one can expect these documents to become
rfc's? (I saw some mails about new findings that might warrant a
new/more
discussions..?)

Are there any *offical* plans to update the rfc 1767?

Adressing.
When i comes to adressing of the applications that actually receive and
process the edi-data, there isnt really any standards are there?
The use of To: and From: lines (or AS2-To, and AS2-From for HTTP as I
understood)
and the actual URI adress used for POST-ing, is completely up to the
application designers and so on? I'm am just getting a bit puzzled about
the different levels of adressing...the URI, the to:/from: lines, 
the IEA, UNH, GS lines, any more? It's a bit fyzzy if you want to have
a simple way of adresssing an application i think.
Fuzzy question I guess, but any comment appreciated..

ebXML?
Is there any intercommunication between ebXML and your workgroup?
*Browsing* through the 0.21d version of the "Messaging
service specification", they several times use/show examples of
mime types that the think could/should? be used, such as:

"Content Type: multipart/related; type=application/vnd.eb+xml;
version..."

and so on. I would have thought that there is a need for *some kind*
integration between your respektive organisations, to ensure that you
dont travel separate ways..or have i misunderstood something?

And then a short but I suppose slightly unrelated question.
Is there anyone here that is aware of any work done on
edi-specific solutions for availability and redundancy?
I would think that it would be handled like any other application
but i thought i might ask, just in case

I appologize for the intrusion, but I hope you can give me some
kind of answers on my questions.

Kind Regards (and a merry christmas)
Taisto Qvist
Carlstedt Research & Technology
Stockholm, Sweden.