Subject: need for certificate exchange standard

From: "Kyle Meadors" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:04:45 -0500

EDIINT,

Part of the EDIINT WG charter is the intention to produce secure
transactions of EDI over the Internet. Within AS1, AS2 and AS3, this
security has been realized through encryption which relies on trusted
digital certificates. The AS1, AS2 and AS3 standards all contain sections
discussing certificate handling and each have this statement…

“In the long term, additional Internet-EDI standards may be developed to
simplify the process of establishing a trading partnership, including the
third party authentication of trading partners, as well as attributes of the
trading relationship.”

I will soon be submitting a RFC standards track Internet draft dealing with
certificate exchange within EDIINT. This standard was first proposed by the
ecGIF subcommittee within the UCC. Through ecGIF, several AS2 vendors and
implementers contributed to its development. It is being brought to EDIINT
for discussion and consideration as an Internet draft. There is a great
interest among supply-chains for an effective means of exchanging
certificates within a trading partner relationship.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions on this initiative. 

Kyle Meadors

Program Manager

Drummond Group Inc.

615.384.5006

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.766 / Virus Database: 513 - Release Date: 9/17/2004