Subject: RE: Filename in AS2 messages

From: "Kyle Meadors" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:39:06 -0600

Dmitry,

Generally, I did not consider filenames of EDI/XML payloads to be
significant in themselves. The information in the EDI interchanges is not
treated differently because of the filename. What would be the benefit of
your trading partner knowing the filename?

Kyle Meadors
DGI

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Dmitry Dolinsky
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 8:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Filename in AS2 messages

I'd like to clarify how the filenames are expected to be communicated in 
AS2. Since AS2 data is represented by MIME body, the implication is that 
Content-Disposition header can be used for that purpose.

Is this a correct assumption?

If so, it would be great if AS2 spec made an explicit reference to RFC-2183 
(update of rfc1806) "Communicating Presentation Information in Internet 
Messages: The Content-Disposition Header Field"  with respect to AS2 
filename. I've noticed that the header is included in the samples that 
accompany the specification but making it explicit would improve 
interoperability.

Also, as a practical question, do current AS2 implementation include 
Content-Disposition header with filename parameter when sending and look 
for it when receiving as far as people know?

Thank you.

Dmitry Dolinsky
Tumbleweed Communications Corp. 

"Tumbleweed E-mail Firewall <tumbleweed.com>" made the following
 annotations on 03/24/05 18:34:12
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to
which it is addressed.  If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.
============================================================================
==

-- 
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.7.4 - Release Date: 3/18/2005

-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.8.6 - Release Date: 3/30/2005

---

From: "Dmitry Dolinsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 09:56:15 -0700

Kyle,

We have seen people using AS2 to transfer files that are not necessarily 
EDI. In that case preserving the filenames does have a benefit.

I've seem some discussion on this list about non-EDI payload in AS2. Is it 
something completely out of scope of AS2 specification?

--Dmitry

"Tumbleweed E-mail Firewall <tumbleweed.com>" made the following
 annotations on 04/04/05 10:02:48
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed.  If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.
==============================================================================