Subject: AS3 Discusion - Abstract

From: "Terry Harding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:42:11 -0700

Since the AS3 document has been discussed extensively off this list, I
will be submitting each individual section of the document for review
and comments. 

Please forward any suggestions of changes to the list.

*****************************
Abstract

  This Applicability Statement (AS) describes how to exchange structured
  business data securely using the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) for XML,
  Binary, Electronic Data Interchange (EDI - ANSI X12 or UN/EDIFACT), or
  other data used for business-to-business data interchange for which
  MIME packaging can be accomplished using standard MIME content-types.
  Authentication and data confidentiality are obtained by using
  Cryptographic Message Syntax (S/MIME) security body parts.
  Authenticated acknowledgements employ multipart/signed replies to the
  original message.

******************************

Thanks

Terry Harding
Cyclone Commerce Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Scott Hollenbeck
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 10:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Moving AS3 forward.

Speaking as your Area Director, and referencing this message:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-ediint/mail-archive/msg01777.html

I am glad to finally see some discussion on this mailing list.  However,
you
all need to be aware that simple statements of "I support moving this
forward" aren't sufficient to develop standards in the IETF.  You need
to
actually do the design work on this working group mailing list, too!

I was encouraged to see the message from Guillaume Colombier describing
a
potential technical issue.  Whether or not this document moves forward
depends on how you all deal with comments like that one.  If you discuss
it
here and decide on a solution here I may consider a working group
request
for publication as a proposed standard.  If nothing happens here I can
tell
you right now that I will not support a request to publish AS3 as a
Proposed
Standard.  The best I will be able to do is to consider publication as
an
Informational RFC documenting the work of some organization that took
place
outside the IETF.

Remember, IETF standards MUST be developed in the IETF.

-Scott-