Subject: AS3 Discusion - Introduction

From: "Terry Harding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:50:51 -0700

Open for discussion

1.   Introduction
  
  Previous work on Internet EDI focused on specifying MIME content types
  for EDI data [2] and extending this work to support secure EC/EDI 
  transport over SMTP [5].  This document expands on RFC 1767 to specify
  a comprehensive set of data security features, specifically data 
  privacy, data integrity, authenticity, non-repudiation of origin and 
  non-repudiation of receipt over FTP.  This document also recognizes 
  contemporary RFCs and is attempting to "re-invent" as little as 
  possible. While this document focuses on EDI data, any other data type
  describable in a MIME format are also supported.  
 
  Internet MIME based EDI can be accomplished by using and complying 
  with the following RFC's and Internet drafts:

         -RFC 959  File Transfer Protocol 
         -RFC 2228 FTP Security Extensions
         -RFC 1767 EDI Content Type
         -RFC 3023 XML Media Types
         -RFC 1847 Security Multiparts for MIME
         -RFC 1892 Multipart/Report
         -RFC 2045 to 2049 MIME RFC's
         -RFC 2298 Message Disposition Notification
         -RFC 2630, 2632, 2633: S/MIME v3 Specifications
         -RFC 3274 Compressed Data Content for Cryptographic Message
                   Syntax
         -draft-ietf-ediint-compression-02.txt
  
  Our intent here is to define clearly and precisely how these are used 
  together, and what is required by user agents to be compliant with
  this document.

  The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL   NOT",
  "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and  "OPTIONAL" in this 
  document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
*****************************************************

Terry Harding
Cyclone Commerce Inc.