Subject: [edu-team] Notes from 4-May-04 Telechat

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 21:45:03 -0400

EDU Team Meeting Notes				4-May-04

Attendees:  Margaret Wasserman, Harald Alvestrand, Radia Perlman,
Spencer Dawkins, James Seng, James Kempf

NEXT MEETING:
Next Meeting:

Thursday, June 3, 2004 @ 5pm PST/8pm EST
Friday, June 4th, 2004 @ 8am Singapore

ACTION ITEMS:

Margaret	Send mail describing web "cover page" idea
Leads       Determine contents of cover pages for each area
James K. Put together outline for "remedial networking" class for SD
Margaret   Check on logistics for second tech training session
Margaret   Work out re-charter details with Harald

AGENDA:

     - Agenda Bashing
     - Review Accomplishments from Last Year
     - Discuss planning for upcoming year
	- Logistical details
	- Ideas for New Work
     - Review Action Items
     - Plan for Next Meeting

AGENDA BASHING:

No changes.

REVIEW ACCOMPLISMENTS FROM LAST YEAR:

Margaret reviewed last years' accomplishments.  See slides from
Seoul Gen-Area meeting for details.

The group accomplished all of the major goals in our current charter.
Need to re-charter for upcoming year.  Harald congratulated the group
on our accomplishments.

Discussion of things we did not do last year:

     - Topical sessions for participants (other than security tutorial)
     - Mentoring programs, especially for new WG chairs

Discussion of how IETF participants can become more involved.

Discussion of how we can provide more written materials for people
who do not learn well from classes.

DISCUSS PLANNING FOR UPCOMING YEAR:

     - Logistical details

We need to do a public presentation in SD to announce new plans
and get feedback.  Probably 30-40 minutes at a Gen-Area meeting?

We also need to re-charter.  Margaret and Harald to work out details.

     - Ideas for New Work

Additional technical training, perhaps running two new sessions in parallel
with security tutorial?  Start with one in San Diego.

Publishing tutorials for existing audience in HTML on EDU web site.  How
do we get the web pages updated to include our training pages in all of
the correct places?

Basic technical information for IETF engineering practices.  For example,
exponential back-off.

I-D Nits training session?

Training on how to hold a BOF?

Training on how to bring new work into the IETF, how to hold a BOF, etc.
Think about forming a design team for people who bring work into the
IETF the right way.  Probably for D.C.

Spencer might be willing to take over Intro WG Chairs Training (which
Margaret would like to hand off) or the Editor's training if Avri would like
to hand that off.

Maybe add a note on bringing work to the IETF to Newcomers?

Summary of new work plan for upcoming year:

     - Recharter the group
     - Get our web site plugged in to the IETF web site
     - Develop HTML versions of existing training sessions
     - New training sessions:
	"Remedial" technical/architectural training (SD)
	Bringing New Work into the IETF (D.C.)

AGENDA ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING:

Brainstorm on ideas for topical WG chair sessions.
Finalize plans for EDU Team presentation in SD (Gen-Area meeting?)
Finalize the training schedule for SD
Review James Kempf's outline for "remedial" training.

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 06:11:05 -0500

Dear Margaret,

- Just to strengthen my offer, I'm willing to do any of the existing
training sessions, whichever one you guys need me to do, or to let
other people continue to do them. Let me know.

- I was hoping we had an action, or at least an agenda item next time,
on how to move forward on "bringing new work into the IETF". This
isn't a small work item.

- If you could spell out "San Diego" in sentences like "remedial
networking class for SD", I would appreciate it a lot - you did mean
San Diego, didn't you?

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 00:08:58 +0200

> Margaret would like to hand off) or the Editor's training if Avri 

I suppose if you want it, you can have it.

a.