Subject: [edu-team] Report from IETF 61?

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:02:09 +0100

Hi,

I wonder if it would make sense to put together a brief report from IETF-61 
seen from EDU team?

- What sessions were held?
- How many people attended each?
- Was people's evaluation positive/negative/indifferent?
- Anything special you would like to draw attention to?

This could be sent to edu-discuss and filed under "about us" on the EDU 
team website.

This may seem like bureaucracy now, but in 2 years, I think we'll have a 
really hard time figuring out what sessions were held at IETF-61 from the 
scattered notes in the archives, far less how many attended.... I already 
have trouble remembering as far back as Vienna, and most of the 
Minneapolises are a blur....

                  Harald

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:15:24 -0600

Not sure who will be holding the pen here, but my contribution would 
be

> I wonder if it would make sense to put together a brief report from 
> IETF-61 seen from EDU team?
>

Working Group Chairs Orientation

> - How many people attended each?

Something like 20. I was concerned, at the time, that we only had 
about five WG chairs in the room, but we hadn't chartered THAT many 
new working groups since IETF 60, at least one "new working group 
chair" I talked to at IETF 61 had attended the IETF 60 training, and 
at least some of the chairs for new working groups are likely 
experienced chairs (no, I haven't checked this theory).

> - Was people's evaluation positive/negative/indifferent?

I usually hear comments an IETF or two later, but Dorothy Gellens 
finds me after every one of her WG meetings and tells me how her 
working group is going, so that's probably a good thing...

> - Anything special you would like to draw attention to?

I'm thinking there's a LOT of duplication between WG chairs 
orientation and editors training on "the working group process", and I 
hope it's consistent duplication, but I can't promise that it is. If 
we move forward on ISDs, for example, we'll be updating both, and 
we're likely to diverge over time.

Pre-IETF 62, I'd like to pick one place to have most of the material, 
and point to the other training (which is, after all, completely 
available to anyone on the Internet - we could even point to specific 
topics in the other training, and open up the right slides during the 
other session if we needed to).

Spencer

---

From: [email-masked] (scott bradner)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:27:15 -0500 (EST)

> - What sessions were held?
newcomers (is all I can speak to directly)

> - How many people attended each?

Foretec would know but it looked like between 50 and 75

> - Was people's evaluation positive/negative/indifferent?

they seemed to like it and a number of people told me during the week that
they did

> - Anything special you would like to draw attention to?

nope

Scott

---

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:26:54 -0800

>- What sessions were held?

Editors Orientation

>- How many people attended each?

Something like 20.

>- Was people's evaluation positive/negative/indifferent?

I had a couple of people from the session come up to me during the 
week and say it was really useful.

>- Anything special you would like to draw attention to?

I agree with Spencer that there is a lot of overlap with the WG 
chairs orientation. That is probably a good thing. We could, however, 
make sure we have matching info.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:04:18 +0800

Can send me the slides too so I can put them up on the website?

On 18-Nov-04, at PM 08:02, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> This could be sent to edu-discuss and filed under "about us" on the 
> EDU team website.
>
> This may seem like bureaucracy now, but in 2 years, I think we'll have 
> a really hard time figuring out what sessions were held at IETF-61 
> from the scattered notes in the archives, far less how many 
> attended.... I already have trouble remembering as far back as Vienna, 
> and most of the Minneapolises are a blur....
>
>                  Harald
>