Subject: [edu-team] We could do a real service by making ietf.org easier to find

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:56:37 -0800

I'm a great test case, since I have an XML-ized draft that I wanted to 
convert. I did
it a few months ago and didn't remember where the xml2txt tool was, but 
remembered
using it.

It was really hard to find the edu site from www.ietf.org. I knew it was 
there, and had
found it a few months ago, and it took me a long time to find it. See if 
you can find it,
and list the links you had to follow to find it. Unless perhaps there is 
a shorter path
that I didn't notice?

I also couldn't directly find the "tools" page, if there is one. The 
only way I eventually
found the tool again was to download the pdf of the editor's training 
presentation,
where it gave the URL. I was not able to find the site for the tool even 
though I knew
the URL (I could type the URL directly, but going to RFC editor page, 
and searching
from there I couldn't find a link).

Anyway, I think a service we could do is making all this stuff easier to 
find. I don't think
having RFCs about it is the right thing, especially if it's the only 
thing. I think we need
a "living" document with links off the ietf.org page that are easy to find.

Radia

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:43:25 +0800

I would be happy to maintain a page to list all the tools available for 
I-D editors on edu.ietf.org. Anyone wants to start listing tools they 
have or found or they use so we can kick start it?

-James Seng

On 28-Jan-05, at PM 02:56, Radia Perlman wrote:

> it a few months ago and didn't remember where the xml2txt tool was, 
> but remembered
> using it.
>
> It was really hard to find the edu site from www.ietf.org. I knew it 
> was there, and had
> found it a few months ago, and it took me a long time to find it. See 
> if you can find it,
> and list the links you had to follow to find it. Unless perhaps there 
> is a shorter path
> that I didn't notice?
>
> where it gave the URL. I was not able to find the site for the tool 
> even though I knew
> Anyway, I think a service we could do is making all this stuff easier 
> to find. I don't think

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:53:17 +0800

as a start, see http://edu.ietf.org/tools

-James Seng

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:05:45 -0800

> as a start, see http://edu.ietf.org/tools
That page is great, but I don't think there is an easy link from 
ietf.org to edu.ietf.org.
So it isn't really a problem with the edu page, but instead with the 
link from ietf.org to it.

Radia