Subject: [edu-team] EDU team members who have had personal coaches

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:31:21 -0600

Dear Larger EDU Team,

If you've had experience with personal coaches on professional topics, 
could you shoot me an e-mail?

Thanks!

Spencer 

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:09:18 -0600

Second notice and call for help...

Ed Levison contacted the EDU team at San Diego to ask if we were 
interested in offering personal coaching for WG chairs (he's an IETF 
participant and former WG chair in the APPS area). I was doing the WG 
chairs intro training at the time, so Margaret asked me to meet with 
Ed. We had a short conversation at IETF, I reported to the EDU team at 
dinner, but we didn't make a decision then.

Ed also met with me in Washington (but we didn't get together until 
after midnight on Thursday), and contacted me about a week ago.

The thing is, I've never worked with a personal coach, so I'm not the 
right person for Ed to be talking to. I know some EDU team members 
have worked with a personal coach, so I'm looking for someone who can 
either help Ed engage or figure out that we really aren't up for this.

If you have an opinion on this topic, please let me know. It's not 
right for me to keep talking to Ed and not moving forward.

Spencer

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
To: "EDU Team" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 6:31 AM
Subject: [edu-team] EDU team members who have had personal coaches

> Dear Larger EDU Team,
>
> If you've had experience with personal coaches on professional 
> topics, could you shoot me an e-mail?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Spencer
>
>

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:45:28 -0500

Hi Spencer,

Just my personal opinion...

I don't think that we have any expertise or strong interest within 
the EDU team regarding this activity, but I also don't understand why 
Ed would need the backing of the EDU team in order to offer his 
coaching services to IETF WG chairs.  He already knows where to reach 
them ([email-masked]).

Personally, I don't feel comfortable offering these services through 
the EDU team and/or placing an EDU team imprimatur on his service, 
since I don't know enough about coaching services to tell a good one 
from a bad one.  We might also get other professionals who want the 
EDU team to serve as a referral service for them (patent lawyers, 
massage therapists...), and that isn't something I feel comfortable 
with.

What do the rest of you think?

Margaret

At 7:09 AM -0600 1/26/05, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>participant and former WG chair in the APPS area). I was doing the 
>WG chairs intro training at the time, so Margaret asked me to meet 
>with Ed. We had a short conversation at IETF, I reported to the EDU 
>team at dinner, but we didn't make a decision then.
>
>The thing is, I've never worked with a personal coach, so I'm not 
>the right person for Ed to be talking to. I know some EDU team 
>members have worked with a personal coach, so I'm looking for 
>someone who can either help Ed engage or figure out that we really 
>aren't up for this.
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:04:41 -0500 (EST)

> What do the rest of you think?

I agree with what you just said - Ed should go ahead on his own

Scott

---

From: Susan Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:24:37 -0500 (EST)

> Second notice and call for help...

I think it would be be a *great* idea to try this - he certainly seems to
be interested, and knows the IETF. Can you think of any good candidate
groups in the APPS area?

(I've never worked with a personal coach, except for the kind you pay big
bucks to for a 50-minute hour :)

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:51:40 -0800

I also agree with Margaret. I don't feel comfortable officially 
endorsing someone we
don't know for a service we don't understand. I also wonder why he wants 
to do this
pro bono for the IETF.

Radia

Margaret Wasserman wrote:

> I don't think that we have any expertise or strong interest within the 
> EDU team regarding this activity, but I also don't understand why Ed 
> would need the backing of the EDU team in order to offer his coaching 
> services to IETF WG chairs.  He already knows where to reach them 
> ([email-masked]).
>
> massage therapists...), and that isn't something I feel comfortable with.
>
>> Ed. We had a short conversation at IETF, I reported to the EDU team 
>> at dinner, but we didn't make a decision then.
>>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:20:19 -0500

> dinner, but we didn't make a decision then.

We did not make a decision, but I thought we had discussed finding some 
way of getting some experience with him as a coach.  Either find a 
willing victim or submitting ourselves to him as a test case.

> either help Ed engage or figure out that we really aren't up for this.

As I pointed out during the dinner, I don't think much of them,  
unlicensed shrinks, as a class.  While someone could be a very useful 
coach, in most cases i think they do as much harm as good (this is a 
unlicensed MA level therapist speaking).  I have never worked with one 
myself, but have spoken to several survivors of coaching.

> right for me to keep talking to Ed and not moving forward.

I think we should avoid going further without having a clear 
understanding of what, if anything, he can do to help.

a.