Subject: [edu-team] Re: draft writing tools?

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:09:22 -0400

> quick question: what tool(s) do you use for draft writing?

I'm an nroff person, mostly because the few times I've tried using the
xml2rfc tools, I got the equivalent of assembly language errors that I
couldn't figure out, and figured I had better things to do with my
time.

But, I hear that xml2rfc is great and I'm just behind the times...

EDU team: what are we telling folk on how to get started  using
xml2rfc?

And didn't we just do a course on the topic? I don't see it listed
right off at tools.ietf.org...

Thomas

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:21:58 -0500

Hi, Lea/Thomas,

Yes, we did just do a tutorial. We seem to be putting the tutorial slides 
into the Proceedings now, (but putting a pointer on the Tools website would 
make sense, too)...

http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/slides/xml2rfc-1/sld1.htm in HTML, 
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/slides/xml2rfc-0.pdf in PDF (but they 
are the same slides).

Margaret Wasserman was the presenter.

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:04:31 -0400

Hi,

hmm, i thought i had uploaded them to the the Edu site, bit a few  
things i thought i uploaded don't seem to be there.

i can try it again, but unfortunately whenwver i do it, things seem  
to time out and it becomes a very challenging process.

the slides are in the proceedings http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/ 
06jul/xml2rfc.html

though i don't know what they will do to help one with figuring out  
coding errors.  i have not found good tools for debugging the xml.  i  
don't think it is much worse then debugging nroff, however.

a.

On 21 aug 2006, at 12.21, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> Hi, Lea/Thomas,
>
> Yes, we did just do a tutorial. We seem to be putting the tutorial  
> slides into the Proceedings now, (but putting a pointer on the  
> Tools website would make sense, too)...
>
> http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/slides/xml2rfc-1/sld1.htm in  
> HTML, http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/slides/xml2rfc-0.pdf  
> in PDF (but they are the same slides).
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Narten" <[email-masked]>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:15:53 +0200

I would never, ever go back to nroff, even though I debug xml2rfc
by eyeballing it. The results are so much better and I find the
html output option wonderful.

     Brian

Avri Doria wrote:
> i can try it again, but unfortunately whenwver i do it, things seem  to 
> time out and it becomes a very challenging process.
> 
>> slides into the Proceedings now, (but putting a pointer on the  Tools 
>> website would make sense, too)...
>>
>> HTML, http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/slides/xml2rfc-0.pdf  in 
>> PDF (but they are the same slides).
>>