Subject: [edu-team] DNS tutorial in Vancouver

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:26:20 -0400

This is a message confirming that Peter and I are interested in doing
DNS Tutorial in Vancouver, we plan to revise the tutorial to be more
oriented towards the "The use of DNS in applications and protocols".

	Olafur & Peter  

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:13:46 -0400

Excellent!  Thanks Olafur & Peter!

Margaret

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:09:31 +0200

Hi Margaret, EDU-Team,

here's the outline of the DNS tutorial vor Vancouver.  Feedback is welcome!

Regards,
  Peter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
			DNS for Protocol Designers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
	   Olafur Gudmundsson			Peter Koch
	     <[email-masked]>		      <[email-masked]>
	     (DNSEXT chair)		     (DNSOP co-chair)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Domain Name System (DNS) is one of the corner stones of the Internet.
Without the DNS, wide use of the network would not be easily possible.
Various IETF working groups' protocols/applications have needs for universal
distribution of information related to their operation. Therefore the DNS
-- the only universal lookup service -- is the natural fit to carry certain
information.

While the DNS is indeed a very valuable and powerful tool and it has been
fulfilling its tasks quite well for almost two decades now, it cannot serve all
proposed new uses equally well. And even if the DNS is the lookup system of
choice, the extent to which the DNS is used still needs to be considered.
After all, the DNS's strength, its global availability, turns out to be
a weakness when it comes down to protocol corner cases, operational issues
and some not immediately obvious properties.

This tutorial will cover DNS basics and how best to take advantage of DNS
in other, higher level protocols.  

We will cover in particular frequently discussed topics and rumors as well as
design criteria to be used. Among the topics here are (in no particular order):

	o New RR types & Unknown RR type support
	o DNS tree properties and non-properties
	o Additional-section processing rules
	o Wildcards
	o ...

Participants in this tutorial will gain an understanding of the DNS, its
principles and operation.  Given the time constraints and the special
IETF focus, the tutorial will not cover DNS server or resolver configuration,
server operations or how to further develop or optimize the DNS protocol
intrinsics.  Fortunately, experiences with these aren't expected, either.

This is a cross-area effort, so most welcome to attend are people designing
protocols in, e.g., the Applications and RAI areas (wg chairs, document
editors, design team members, other interested parties). We will also address
"early document review".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:21:06 +1200

Do you plan to mention security issues and performance?

Regards
    Brian Carpenter
    University of Auckland

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:46:57 -0400

> here's the outline of the DNS tutorial vor Vancouver.  Feedback is
  welcome!

Some quick reactions...

> a weakness when it comes down to protocol corner cases,

Any hint to what you mean here? And why this would be of relevance to
the target audience?

> operational issues and some not immediately obvious properties.

> in other, higher level protocols.

I assume, that a part of this is "DNS: what it is good for, and what
it is not!" 

> 	o Additional-section processing rules

IMO, some talk about IDNs is appropriate here. High-level stuff, not a
lot of detail, but I would guess

Even reading through this, I'm not entirely sure whot the target
audience for this talk is intended to be. Adding a few lines on this
might be good...

Thomas

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:12:21 +0200

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your questions.

> Any hint to what you mean here? And why this would be of relevance to

At the risk of the edu-team list being publicly accessible, here's my blunt
version:  It's partly "If all you have is a hammer ..." and partly about common
misconceptions a la ``all names look like www.example.com'', ``I can see what
a TLD is (and it would matter)'', ``I need TXT records because XYZ said some
software won't work otherwise'' ...

> I assume, that a part of this is "DNS: what it is good for, and what

yes, that's it.

> lot of detail, but I would guess

Good point, thanks.  While we won't have time to explain IDNA, it's worth
one or two slides to say that IDN is "on top of DNS" and why it does
influence API and implementations but most likely not the protocol design
(except where you carry IDNs in RDATA).

> audience for this talk is intended to be. Adding a few lines on this

Is
  ``This is a cross-area effort, so most welcome to attend are people designing
    protocols in, e.g., the Applications and RAI areas (wg chairs, document
    editors, design team members, other interested parties).''
too fuzzy or too restrictive?

Thanks,
  Peter