Subject: [edu-team] Maternity Leave & Philadelphia Planning

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:06:28 -0500

Just FYI --

My baby, Zoe Ann Hartman, was born on Wednesday, January 23rd (two  
weeks early).  The baby is healthy and adorable, and we're all doing  
very well.  However, I am currently on maternity leave until April  
28th.  I may travel to Philadelphia during IETF 71, anyway, but if I  
do, I will have the baby with me and won't technically be working  
that week.

I believe that Russ is trying to arrange for someone to lead the EDU  
Team effort while I'm gone, but I don't think the details have been  
finalized yet.  So, Anything you guys can do to help would be  
appreciated.

As far as tutorials for March:

We always have Newcomers (Scott, will you be able to do this in PA?).

Document Lifecycle ran for the first time in Vancouver and should run  
again.  However, someone else will have to pair with Alice to teach  
it.  Suggestions or volunteers?

We had discussed bringing back Security again and I think we all  
agreed that it would be great if Radia could teach it again.  Radia,  
are you up for that?

Dan Romascanu approached me after the XML tutorial (which I didn't  
attend) and indicated that it was extremely useful.  Dan suggested  
that we sponsor Tim Bray's travel to PA to do it at IETF 71.  Russ,  
is that something we could/should do?  In contrast to Dan's review, I  
was told by some people that Tim's tutorial was not well balanced and  
focused too much on XSD (and not RelaxNG), etc.

There seems to be a lot of interest in XML training, so if we can't  
get Tim again or decide that we shouldn't, maybe we can get someone  
else to teach an XML-related session?  Perhaps we could ask Lada to  
teach a Relax NG tutorial, since that didn't seem to be very well  
covered in Tim's class?  Lada has indicated that he will be in PA and  
would be willing to do this, and I got to meet Lada during IETF 70  
and got some good references about his abilities.  So, this might be  
a good way to balance the material presented by Tim.  Thoughts?

Would it make sense to bring back the "New Work" tutorial?  Thomas,  
would you be willing?

If we go with all of the above, we'd have one other slot available.   
Thoughts about what we should do?  To keep a 3/3 balance, it should  
be a technical session.  We might be able to get the DNS guys to run  
one more session, or we could bring back Routing & Switching,  
although that would involve finding a new presenter or asking Radia  
to teach two sessions...

Are there other timely topics that we should try to cover?  I'm leery  
of trying to do anything too ambitious, since I won't be there, but  
if someone else has an idea, this might be a good chance to run with it.

Any thoughts on what we should do for the WG Chairs lunch this time?

Margaret

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott O. Bradner)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:07:46 -0500 (EST)

> We always have Newcomers (Scott, will you be able to do this in PA?).

yes

Scott

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:54:39 -0800

I am happy to do security in Philadelphia, but although I am going to 
Philadelphia IETF,
I will not be attending the following IETF (the one in Europe the
end of July).

Radia

in Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> do, I will have the baby with me and won't technically be working that 
> week.
>
> that we sponsor Tim Bray's travel to PA to do it at IETF 71.  Russ, is 
> that something we could/should do?  In contrast to Dan's review, I was 
> told by some people that Tim's tutorial was not well balanced and 
> would be willing to do this, and I got to meet Lada during IETF 70 and 
> got some good references about his abilities.  So, this might be a 
> good way to balance the material presented by Tim.  Thoughts?
>
> Thoughts about what we should do?  To keep a 3/3 balance, it should be 
> a technical session.  We might be able to get the DNS guys to run one 
> more session, or we could bring back Routing & Switching, although 
> that would involve finding a new presenter or asking Radia to teach 
> two sessions...
>
> of trying to do anything too ambitious, since I won't be there, but if 
> someone else has an idea, this might be a good chance to run with it.
>