Subject: [edu-team] Tutorials for IETF 82 Taipei

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:28:07 +0200

Hi all,

We need to come up with a list of tutorials for IETF 82. Looking at the 
last few meetings, what about this:

1. Newcomers (Scott, will you be in Taipei?)

Do we want to offer a Newcomers Tutorial in the local language? If so, 
any suggestions who could present this?

2. Bringing New Work into the IETF (Thomas, would you like to do this 
once more?)

3. Routing/BFD (Dave Ward and Adrian Farrel offered to do this. We need 
to confirm with them)

4. Security (Radia offered to present either Security or Routing; needs 
to be coordinated with Dave and Adrian)

WG chairs lunch: RFC 4858 refresher (Dan Romascanu will lead this)

Please let me know what you think. We need to submit this to the 
secretariat asap.

Cheers,
Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 00:03:42 +1200

Looks reasonable to me. Please don't overlap #1 and #2 since the same
people might benefit from both.

We did the newcomers in Mandarin in Beijing, but we're likely to
get a new set of Mandarin speakers in Taipei. So it might be
reasonable to offer it again. I think a local speaker would be
best, but I have no contacts there.

I will be in Taipei but I'm only arriving Sunday a.m., so I'm not
the best backup for the anglophone newbies.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 2011-08-29 23:28, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:28:27 +0200

Thanks for the feedback, Brian.

In Beijing we asked YAO Jiankang and DENG Hui to present the Newcomers 
tutorial. If someone, has their email addresses, I could contact them.

Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 01:05:19 +1200

Mirjam,

Taipei vs PRC politics are a little complicated. Actually I am in
Beijing this week, and I was told today that it takes three months for
a PRC citizen to get a visa to go to Taipei. So I'm not sure that asking
PRC people to explain the IETF in Taipei is sure to work out. Maybe you
can ask Ray Pelletier for a local contact in Taipei.

The addresses I have are
Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Yao Jiankang <[email-masked]>

   Brian

---

From: Alice Hagens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:15:58 -0400

Mirjam,

I suggest Document Lifecycle (last given at IETF 79 -- http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-editor/lifecycle.pdf).

One option would be to append a condensed version of 'Document Lifecycle' to 'Bringing New Work', as in here's what happens after you bring new work.

Thanks,
Alice

On Aug 29, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> We need to come up with a list of tutorials for IETF 82. Looking at the last few meetings, what about this:
> 
> Do we want to offer a Newcomers Tutorial in the local language? If so, any suggestions who could present this?
> 
> 2. Bringing New Work into the IETF (Thomas, would you like to do this once more?)
> 
> 3. Routing/BFD (Dave Ward and Adrian Farrel offered to do this. We need to confirm with them)
> 
> 4. Security (Radia offered to present either Security or Routing; needs to be coordinated with Dave and Adrian)
> 
> Please let me know what you think. We need to submit this to the secretariat asap.
> 
> Cheers,
> Mirjam

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:52:46 +0200

Hi again,

Scott won't be in Taipei. Can someone else do the Newcomers Tutorial? 
Margaret? Ray is looking for a speaker for the local Newcomers tutorial.

Alice suggested to do Document Lifecycle again or possibly combine it 
with Bringing New Work into the IETF. If we do them separately, we would 
only have one 'technical' tutorial (Security). The other tutorials would 
all be 'procedural'. If that is not a problem, I suggest we do this:

1. Newcomers (Scott, will you be in Taipei?) (13:00)

1a. Local Newcomers (speaker TBD) (13:00)

2. Bringing New Work into the IETF (Thomas, can you please confirm) (15:00)

3. Document Lifecycle (Alice) (15:00)

4. Routing (Radia) (13:00)

There is still the request by Adrian and Dave to give a short BFD 
tutorial. Not sure where this would go. Either together with Radia's 
tutorial or separately, but then shorter?

Please send me your feedback asap.

Thanks,
Mirjam

---

From: Scott O Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:00:57 -0400

> 1. Newcomers (Scott, will you be in Taipei?)

no

I can update the slides but will not be on-site

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:33:08 +1200

> 1a. Local Newcomers (speaker TBD) (13:00) 

Shouldn't we do the Chinese version at 15:00?

Regards
   Brian

On 2011-08-31 02:52, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
>> 4. Security (Radia offered to present either Security or Routing;
>> needs to be coordinated with Dave and Adrian)
>>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:27:37 +0200

Hi Brian,

Not sure. Do you think people would be interested to attend both, the 
English and the Chinese version of the Newcomers tutorial?

Has anyone heard from Thomas if he will be in Taipei and if he is wiling 
to present 'New Work' again? If not, I'll skip it for now and send the 
rest to the secretariat (in that case we could actually move the Chinese 
Newcomers to 15:00 if you think that is better).

And has anyone heard if Margaret will be able to do Newcomers?

Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:08:08 +1200

Hi,

I've been told in the past that local people quite often like
to attend the English newcomers and the local language version.
They are mainly people who understand English to a reasonable
extent (otherwise their week is wasted anyway) but will be
reinforced by the local version.

In Beijing the local language presenters came to the English
session and I saw them taking lots of notes...

Of course it's not essential, depending on room availability.

I'm sure we will find somebody to present the English version
if MRW is unavailable. I'm definitely a backup but will probably
fall asleep about halfway through :-).

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:33:41 +0200

Hi Brian,

Convinced :-)

Then I'll submit the following to the secretariat.

13:00 - Newcomers (speaker TBD)

13:00 - Routing (Radia Perlman)

15:00 - Local Newcomers (speaker TBD)

15:00 - Document Lifecycle (Alice Hagens)

If Thomas wants to do New Work and if there will be a OAM/BFD tutorial, 
we can add them later.

Mirjam

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:23:11 -0400

> If Thomas wants to do New Work and if there will be a OAM/BFD tutorial, 

Do we really want to repeat the New Work presentation given that I
just gave it in Quebec? I think it would be better to do this once a
year (or so) than in back-to-back meetings (as a general rule).

Or do we have reason to think having it again so soon makes sense?

Thomas

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:33:57 +0200

Hi Thomas,

The only reason was that we had some sort of a 'rule' to give the same 
tutorial two times in a row. But for New Work this might not make sense. 
Scheduling it once a year, sounds good to me. Do you want to give the 
Newcomers Tutorial instead? ;-)

Mirjam