Subject: [edu-team] Tutorials

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:31:11 +0200

I have an observation and a proposal concerning the Sunday tutorials. 

The OAM tutorial at IETF-83 was not coordinated and revised by either
the OPS or Routing ADs. To be complete, I provided some input in the
earlier phases, but heard nothing in the months before the IETF, and
actually did not realize the tutorial is taking place. As a result I
could attend only the first 45 minutes or so, my impression was that the
tutorial was not bad, but presented a perspective personal to the
authors on a subject with many work-in-progress components that did not
reach consensus. 

The proposal is not (directly) related. I suggest to pick NETCONF and
YANG as the subjects of a Sunday tutorial at the coming IETF meeting. To
differ from OAM, NETCONF and YANG are standard track protocol and DML
respectively, they start to be deployed, yet seem to be little known out
of the OPS area. Right now I am sitting in a SCIM BOF, the author of the
introductory presentation rightly went through a series of slides 'why
not LDAP?' 'why not ...' to justify a new protocol and modeling language
for the problems, and a 'why not NETCONF/YANG?' slide was missing (as I
think it would fit better than many other reviewed and rejected
solutions he candidly answered that he does not know what NETCONF and
YANG is. This must be fixed. 

Regards,

Dan