Subject: [edu-team] slides for Tools for Creating Internet-Drafts

From: Alice Hagens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:08:57 -0400

Edu team,

Slides for this tutorial are here: 
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-editor/tools_83.pdf

Feedback welcome. The content is roughly the same as IETF 81; added mentions of:
- xml2rfc v2
- document life cycle in brief (Brian's suggestion)
- RFC format BoF / ongoing discussion
- list of some useful things linked to from tools.ietf.org

Brian also suggested adding more about the Word template option. I'll hit its high points, but wasn't planning to demo it.

Thanks,
Alice

> Tools for Creating Internet-Drafts
> 
> Presented by: Alice Hagens
> 
> Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 13:00-14:50
> Room: 241
> 
> This tutorial will cover NroffEdit and xml2rfc, two popular ways to produce Internet-Drafts. NroffEdit is a WYSIWYG nroff editor that comes with a template for quick creation of an Internet-Draft. We will cover the essential NROFF commands and demo the tool. For xml2rfc, the tutorial will include a brief introduction to XML for novices and will cover the usage of the 'processing instructions' that are available to control the appearance of the final document. Using xml2rfc relieves draft authors of the need to think about getting the boilerplate and overall format right, and provides citation libraries that reduce the pain of generating references to I-Ds, RFCs, and other document series.

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:07:08 -0700

Wow!  Looks excellent.

One thing...you say "Bill's add-on" on slide 21.  Might be nice to
fully credit him, using his last name.

And while crediting people who must have spent so much time developing
these tools, might be nice to have all the people credited for all the
tools on a slide.

Radia

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Alice Hagens <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:36:15 +0100

Alice,

I think the presentation looks great.
I hope the projector allows a good demo of the Nroff Edit side by side
feature.
But I guess we will find out :)

/Stefan

On 12-03-22 7:08 PM, "Alice Hagens" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Brian also suggested adding more about the Word template option. I'll hit
>its high points, but wasn't planning to demo it.
>
>Thanks,
>Alice
>
>> This tutorial will cover NroffEdit and xml2rfc, two popular ways to
>>produce Internet-Drafts. NroffEdit is a WYSIWYG nroff editor that comes
>>with a template for quick creation of an Internet-Draft. We will cover
>>the essential NROFF commands and demo the tool. For xml2rfc, the
>>tutorial will include a brief introduction to XML for novices and will
>>cover the usage of the 'processing instructions' that are available to
>>control the appearance of the final document. Using xml2rfc relieves
>>draft authors of the need to think about getting the boilerplate and
>>overall format right, and provides citation libraries that reduce the
>>pain of generating references to I-Ds, RFCs, and other document series.