Subject: [edu-team] So, I think Tissa wants not to do the OAM tutorial this time

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:02:25 -0700

I haven't been able to talk to him by phone, and whether he wants to
not do the OAM tutorial this time because of  being discouraged with
the feedback, or having a conflict.

At any rate, if we're not doing the OAM tutorial, what are the four
tutorials we will offer?

Radia

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 21:27:13 +0200

Hi Radia, Hi all,

So far we have the following:

1. Newcomers Tutorial (Scott Bradner)

2. Tools Tutorial (Henrik, Alice)

3. Security (Radia)
Radia, you offered to do this in Vancouver, right?

It was suggested to postpone the NETCONF & YANG tutorial until the 
Atlanta IETF. In the meantime, Juergen Schoenwalder responded and said 
that such a tutorial would not have to be developed from scratch. He 
pointed to these two URLs (needs updating, but the basics are there):

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/75/slides/opsarea-5.pdf
http://www.beadg.de/netconf-yang-slides-2010.pdf

What about the IANA Considerations/Document Lifecycle/RFC Editor 
tutorial? I don't think we came to a final conclusion on that one? Would 
this be a good topic for Vancouver?

Mirjam

On 30/4/12 9:02 PM, Radia Perlman wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:20:55 -0700

I can do the security one, but it would be better in the 3 PM slot
because I'm planning on flying up on Sunday morning, and what with
potential airplane delays, etc...

We had a DNS one.  Do you remember who did that, and whether it got
good reviews?  Might it make sense to repeat that one?

Would a tutorial on HTML5 make sense?  I don't know much about it,
(it's in the part of the 7 layer model that when I give tutorials I
wave my hands and say "layers 5 and above...boring"), but I keep
hearing it talked about.  Is there much to it that is conceptual, or
would a tutorial have to be delving into the packet details?

Or maybe a tutorial on Hadoop and Graphlab and how they effect
requirements on networks?

Radia

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]> wrote:
> It was suggested to postpone the NETCONF & YANG tutorial until the Atlanta
> IETF. In the meantime, Juergen Schoenwalder responded and said that such a
> tutorial would not have to be developed from scratch. He pointed to these
> two URLs (needs updating, but the basics are there):
>
> What about the IANA Considerations/Document Lifecycle/RFC Editor tutorial? I
> don't think we came to a final conclusion on that one? Would this be a good
> topic for Vancouver?
>
> Mirjam
>
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 07:44:36 +0100

One option is to only have 3 tutorials; that wouldn't be a disaster.

If we have four, I'd have a slight preference for having two about process
and tools, and two technical ones. HTML5 and DNS both sound OK.

Regards
   Brian