Subject: [edu-team] Tutorials for IETF 86

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:22:21 +0100

Hi,

The secretariat would like to add the tutorials to the registration page 
soon. So far we have the following:

- Newcomers Tutorial (Scott, can you please confirm)

- Shall we offer WG Leadership once more? Margaret, what do you think?

- Radia said she got good feedback abut her tutorial on Design Tradeoffs 
for Routing Protocols and offered to do that one again in Orlando. Any 
objections?

- And then we have Russ' suggestion to do an IEEE 802.1Q-2011 tutorial 
(Speaker and outline to be confirmed).

Radia also suggested to find people who can put together a tutorial on 
Multipath TCP. Maybe we can try to prepare that one for IETF 87?

What do you all think?

Mirjam

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 10:10:29 -0500

WG Leadership went well and was well-attended.  I think it would be good to do it again.

Margaret

On Dec 3, 2012, at 9:22 AM, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> The secretariat would like to add the tutorials to the registration page soon. So far we have the following:
> 
> - Radia said she got good feedback abut her tutorial on Design Tradeoffs for Routing Protocols and offered to do that one again in Orlando. Any objections?
> 
> - And then we have Russ' suggestion to do an IEEE 802.1Q-2011 tutorial (Speaker and outline to be confirmed).
> 
> Radia also suggested to find people who can put together a tutorial on Multipath TCP. Maybe we can try to prepare that one for IETF 87?
> 
> What do you all think?
> 
> Mirjam
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:59:27 +0000

> soon. So far we have the following:

Did we get the participants survey outcome from Atlanta?
> - Shall we offer WG Leadership once more? Margaret, what do you think?

I'm not Margaret, but I'd say yes (maybe with a special note to the WG
chairs list).

> for Routing Protocols and offered to do that one again in Orlando. Any

No objection, but I would suggest trying to say more about how these
routing issues affect other aspects of IETF work (e.g. all the issues
in homenet and mif about zero-configuration, and choice of routing
and host-configuration mechanisms). I think the Routing Area is still
a bit of a mystery for most of the IETF.

> Multipath TCP. Maybe we can try to prepare that one for IETF 87?

I would do some parallel processing on this while confirming the 802.1Q
class, in case that doesn't work out. You could contact Mark Handley to
see if he's planning to be in Orlando - he would be the obvious MPTCP
speaker, if available ([email-masked]).

   Brian

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:48:16 -0500

> Did we get the participants survey outcome from Atlanta?

Here it is:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=64CX6uOc_2bYHM6W_2bWtqx6DIROcH5EbMbzeEx_2fJ00P5Zk_3d

Ray

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 08:24:06 +0000

> https://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=64CX6uOc_2bYHM6W_2bWtqx6DIROcH5EbMbzeEx_2fJ00P5Zk_3d

Thanks. Those are all good scores. Nothing below "fair" is an
unusual result - when I've been through lecturer evaluations in
a university, it's quite common to get both "excellent" and
"terrible" evaluations within the same class. Generally, you
can't please everybody.

    Brian

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 09:31:48 +0100

Thanks, Margaret. I didn't hear any objections, so I think we can 
schedule this one for Orlando. Last time, it was at 13:00 in parallel 
with Newcomers. Shall we do that again?

Mirjam

---

From: Alice Russo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 18:12:58 -0500

Hi,

Typically I'd suggest one of the following tutorials related to document creation, but it doesn't seem needed for IETF 86 as noted below. Please let me know if you think otherwise.

- Document Lifecycle 
(Last given at 82. The slides are partially included in Margaret's 'WG Leadership' tutorial, which was given at 85 and is on the list for 86.)

- IETF Tools
(Given at 84 and 85)

- Tools for Creating I-Ds
(Last given at 83; perhaps for 87 to cover xml2rfc v2)

- Intro to xml2rfc
(Last given at 75; material folded into Tools for Creating I-Ds)

Thanks,
Alice

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 08:18:49 +0000

> (Last given at 83; perhaps for 87 to cover xml2rfc v2)

All other things being equal, I would support this for IETF 87.

However, things may not be equal, depending on progress in Heather's
work on the future RFC format. Big changes may be in preparation by
the time of IETF 87, so we'd better stay flexible.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 19:30:29 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for offering, Alice. I'll put you down for 'Tools for Creating 
I-Ds' for IETF 87.

In the meantime we contacted Pat Thaler. She promised to send us an 
outline for the 802 tutorial next week and the slides later in January, 
so we can review them before Orlando.

Radia said she would prefer not to present this time. Instead she 
started reaching out to the IESG to put together a "What's going on in 
the various areas" tutorial (see her mail for details).

That means, we now have the following:

- 13:00 Newcomers Tutorial (Scott, can you please confirm?)

- 13:00 WG Leadership (Margaret)

- 15:00 IEEE 802.1Q-2011 tutorial (Pat Thaler)

- 15:00 IETF Overview (TBC)

What do you think? Can I send this to the secretariat? Are the times OK? 
Or shall we swap WG Leadership with 802 ?

Mirjam