Subject: [edu-team] RFC 2119 in tutorial slides

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:34:45 +0100

Hi,

During the WG lunch yesterday, it was suggested to include a short 
explanation of RFC 2119 ("Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate 
Requirement Levels") in some of the Sunday tutorials. Pete offered to 
help with this. I assume this could possibly affect the following tutorials:

- WG Leadership (Margaret)

- Bringing New work to the IETF (Thomas)
(we didn't offer this for a while. Do we still want to keep the slides 
up to date?)

- Document Lifecycle & RFC Editor Tutorial (Alice)

- Tools for creating IDs and RFCs (Alice)
(this is planned for Berlin)

- and maybe Newcomers (Scott)?

Regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:06:05 +0000

On 14/03/2013 13:34, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
> Requirement Levels") in some of the Sunday tutorials. 

Short? Seriously?

This has led to quite a lot of discussion, include IESG DISCUSSes,
over the years. I think doing it in one or two slides is difficult.
But yes, it's important.

> Pete offered to

Yes. The issue comes up constantly.It's probably the thing I talk most
about to people thinking about future IETF participation.
> - and maybe Newcomers (Scott)?

The RFC 2119 issue doesn't really fit in any of them exactly. I'm wondering
whether there isn't scope for a tutorial on writing the *content* of a
specification (as opposed to the *mechanics* as covered in Alice's two
tutorials).

    Brian