Subject: [edu-team] EDUversity

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:54:02 +0000

Does the EDU team have a specific role in the diversity story?

I do *not* mean a diversity training tutorial. I mean more
focus on "growing" new candidates for WG and I* roles.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:22:09 +0100

Hi Brian,

That's an interesting thought. I wish we would be able to play a role in 
that.

Radia and I had a good chat with Jari today (who is now subscribed to 
this list) and thought it might be time for another edu-team 
presentation during the next plenary session (in Berlin) to make people 
aware of the edu-team and to ask for input. Maybe this could be one of 
the topic for the presentation?

Another idea we discussed was to make the edu-team mailing list a public 
list to allow for more participation and input. Personally, I am not 
sure if this would work. Ultimately a small team will have to make the 
decisions. On the other hand it would be great to get more people 
actively participating in the edu-team and helping with developing 
tutorials, providing feedback, finding speakers etc. That could reduce 
the work load for those currently on the team and might create some new
ideas.

What do you think?

Regards,
Mirjam

On 11/3/13 5:54 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:25:53 -0400

I should point out that a call for new EDU members on a plenary slide lead to no new members.  We need to twist arms.

Russ

On Mar 11, 2013, at 4:22 PM, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> 
> That's an interesting thought. I wish we would be able to play a role in that.
> 
> Radia and I had a good chat with Jari today (who is now subscribed to this list) and thought it might be time for another edu-team presentation during the next plenary session (in Berlin) to make people aware of the edu-team and to ask for input. Maybe this could be one of the topic for the presentation?
> 
> Another idea we discussed was to make the edu-team mailing list a public list to allow for more participation and input. Personally, I am not sure if this would work. Ultimately a small team will have to make the decisions. On the other hand it would be great to get more people actively participating in the edu-team and helping with developing tutorials, providing feedback, finding speakers etc. That could reduce the work load for those currently on the team and might create some new
> ideas.
> 
> What do you think?
> 
> Regards,
> Mirjam
> 
>

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:08:14 -0400

I think this group needs new blood and energy.

IMO, we are in a bit of rut. We are doing too much turning the crank
and just doing technical tutorials that are interesting, but don't get
at the reason EDU was originally formed.

We should get back to our mission/charter and think again about doing
stuff to make the IETF work better. Many of the IETF issues are not
technical, but about process/practices and helping people be smart
about how they work.

Look at our mission:

> The Education (EDU) Team manages the internal educational activities
> of the IETF with the goal of improving the effectiveness of IETF
> operations. We strive to improve the effectiveness of IETF leaders and
> participants by offering training sessions and educational materials
> that clarify their roles and responsibilities and prepare them to be
> more effective in their roles.

We should be doing more of this stuff.

Thomas

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 08:13:56 +0000

Hi,

> the topic for the presentation?

Good idea; see my response to Thomas below.

> sure if this would work. 
...

I think a better approach is to use the edu-discuss list for this, and
keep the existing list for logistics, and private discussions about which
speakers are good and which are lousy, etc.

The last traffic on edu-discuss was on 2010.12.11, and there are 114
members of the list.

Maybe it would be good to remind the IETF list about edu-discuss and
then pick a topic to start a discussion.

> I think this group needs new blood and energy.

I completely agree. As Russ said, it is not so easy to get new people
involved, but surely there must be one or two people if we can find them.

> We should be doing more of this stuff.

I completely agree. We shouldn't turn into a free technical college.

>> focus on "growing" new candidates for WG and I* roles.

    Brian