Subject: [edu-team] Fwd: Mentoring program

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 12:30:47 +0100

Hi,

I had a chat with Alissa about the mentoring program. She would like to
hand over the responsibility to someone, and asked me if I was
interested. I thought this could possibly be something the Edu Team
could take on. She discussed this with the other mentoring coordinators
and they thought this would be a good idea. What do you think?

See below some more details about what this task entails. Maybe one of
the mentoring coordinators could become a member of the team? Do you
think this fits within the scope of the Edu Team? Looks like a lot of
the process is already set up.

Cheers,
Mirjam

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Mentoring program
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 13:49:54 -0700
From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
To: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>

Hi Mirjam,

I had a chat with the other mentoring program coordinators and we'd like
to find one person to take the lead on the mentoring program going
forward. The tasks involved would be:

1. Find some more coordinators to do mentor matches (Gen-ART would be a
good place to start asking).
2. Work with the coordinators to determine what kind of tools are needed
to help with doing the matching (thus far we've been doing everything by
hand/via email/with a Google spreadsheet, and it would be good to improve
upon that). Robert Sparks is willing to help with the tooling needs.
3. Work with Alexa and Jari to get the announcements out to the
appropriate lists prior to the IETF meetings to let people know they can
sign up as mentors and mentees.
4. Ping the coordinators at the appropriate times to get them to do the
matching and complete any last-minute matches.
5. Solicit feedback from mentors/mentees after meetings (we have a survey
we've been using already).
6. Think about other creative ways to make the mentor program a success!

This isn't actually a ton of work, but it does require some attention
particularly in the weeks leading up to the meetings. If you're willing to
take this on, let me know!

Thanks,
Alissa

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 08:01:02 +1300

Three things:

1. Should we officially be responsible for helping newcomers in
general? This isn't stated explicitly in the charter at
http://www.ietf.org/edu/. Perhaps it should be, and then
mentoring would fit in very naturally.

2. Do we have enough *active* EDU team members to take on more
responsibility? I'm not convinced. I think we should approach
that seriously: ask anyone who isn't active to step down, and
find two or three new people who can find the time to
contribute. This is especially true if we take on new topics
(ESL, mentoring, reviewing the web site refurbishment,...).

3.
> Maybe one of
> the mentoring coordinators could become a member of the team?

Yes, I'd say that's essential.

Regards
   Brian

On 29/03/2014 00:30, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>