Subject: [edu-team] Minutes of IETF 89 Edu Team meeting

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 15:35:15 +0100

Hi all,

Here are the minutes of yesterday's Edu team meeting. Please let me know 
if anything is missing.

Regards,
Mirjam
=========

IETF 89 Edu Team Meeting agenda 14 March

Present: Alexa, Stephanie, Avri, Alice, Brian, Ray, Scott, Mirjam
Guests: Robert, Henrik

1. Review of IETF 89 tutorials

APP Area Overview tutorial:
- 40 - 50 people
- only filled about half of the slot, possibly combine with another ?

AAA tutorial:
- 40 people (in parallel with privacy)

Privacy tutorial:
- 100 people
- lots of discussion

Newcomers:
- ran over, many questions

2. How can be more visible
    - Article in IETF Journal?

Mirjam will draft something and send to the list.

Mirjam will talk to Greg Wood about tweeting about the tutorials and the 
edu team.

Brian suggests to rework the Newcomers pages. The Edu Team members 
should look at that page from time to time to make sure it is up to date.

Stephanie suggests to have a table for the Edu Team at the registration 
desk.

    - Plenary presentation

Mirjam will send a mail to Jari to get a slot for IETF 90.

    - Links from IETF meeting agenda
related to the data tracker (see below)

    - data tracker

Robert Sparks reports that this has been a request in the queue for some 
time to make the edu team presentations, minutes, tutorial descriptions, 
edu team members etc. more similar to the other groups on the 
datatracker. The tools team has a pretty good idea on how to do this. 
It is moderately easy. Work can now start after other work is finished. 
Hope to get it done between now and the next IETF. This will allow edu 
team members to upload material.

Brian notes that sometimes tutorial material is not always tied to a 
meeting and should be available at other times as well.

Henrik explains there will be fuctionality such that one can specify if 
it is meeting material or general material.

There are similar groups such as nomcom, the code sprint group, the IRTF 
RGs with similar requirements.

Alexa wonders if it will be possible to upload videos? Or embed a URL 
rather then the actual video (because of bandwidth). Henrik says this 
should be possible.

The tools team will go an implement this. Scott volunteers to be the 
beta tester.

Mirjam sent spreadsheet to Robert and Henrik. It would be useful to have 
this history also available on the data tracker.

3. Tutorials at IETF 90 and 91
    - For IETF 90 we had considered the following:
      - Newcomers (Scott) - confirmed
      - Tools for creating IDs & RFCs (Alice, Henrik) - confirmed
        (combined with Intro to XML2RFC)
      - OPS Area overview (Lee Howard) - confirmed
      - Wireless Links (Donald Eastlake) - confirmed
      - Measurement Tutorial (Vinayak Hedge) - consider for IETF 91

Brian wonders if for IETF 91 XML will become a necessity (the new 
canonical format)? Do we need a special tutorial for that? We would need 
some time to prepare.

Henrik says that the new canonical format suggests that what is valid 
today, will also be valid in the future (backwards compatible).  Will 
not be an issue for IETF 91.

IETF 91:
- SEC Overview (Alice will talk to Sean Turner) - confirmed
- WG Leadership (Mirjam will talk to Margaret)
- Measurements (Mirjam will talk to Vinayak)

4. WG Chairs lunch and other help for WG chairs?

no time to discuss at this point

5. English as Second Language activity

Alice participated in the workshop on Saturday (organised by Ted Lemons 
and Joel and Heather). In Vancouver 6 people participated and this time 
there were 4.

How would this scale in the future? This particular set of 4 authors 
liked the way it was run now (basically talk about it as a group), but a 
one-on-one pairing might scale better. But this might be intimidating 
plus how can it be avoided that the person who is helping becomes a 
co-author?

Is this an Edu Team activity? Or an RFC editor activity?

Shouldn't this be a WG chair responsibility? If a WG chair sees a badly 
written document, couldn't they facilitate teaming this author up with 
another member of the WG.

Henrik wonders if a grammar checker could help to flag problems in the text?

Ray thinks this is a systemic issue across standards building 
organisations and it ought to be addressed by the organisation. Should 
the IETF pay for language checking?

At this point it doesn't seem to be an Edu team activity. Most like 
responsibility of the WG chairs.

AOB:

Ray asks for input for the IETF survey?

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 04:43:09 +1300

Thanks Mirjam.

> no time to discuss at this point 

We do need to pick a topic for IETF 90, ASAP.
Any ideas?

    Brian

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 02:06:34 +1300

>      - Measurement Tutorial (Vinayak Hedge) - consider for IETF 91

I happened to bump into Al Morton (my go-to guy for measurement
stuff) and he confirmed that Vinayak is an expert and has already
discussed the proposed tutorial with Al.

However, I think we do need to get in early with Vinayak to
direct him towards "helping IETF WGs work better" rather than
just giving a generic tutorial.

Let's try to get the draft slides long in advance. I can help with
review, but not the week before we go to Hawaii.

   Brian

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 17:50:04 +0100

> We do need to pick a topic for IETF 90, ASAP.

Margaret agreed to give the WG Leadership at IETF 90. As discussed, we 
need to review the slides and possibly add things we identified in the 
meantime such as the english language mentoring task.

Does anyone have a suggestion already for the next WG chairs lunch?

Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 13:21:38 +1300

> Does anyone have a suggestion already for the next WG chairs lunch?

How about the "English as a second language" issue? Hear some
experience from the recent workshops, and hear opinions from
the WG chairs about the best way forward?

    Brian