Subject: [edu-team] Edu Team Meeting Notes - IETF 90

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:17:57 +0200

Hi,

Here are the notes of our meeting.

Henrik, who from Netnod did you recommend for the DNSSEC tutorial? Can
you please send me his email address.

Regards,
Mirjam
========

Edu Team Meeting at IETF 90 (Monday, 21 July 2014)

Present: Alexa, Stephanie, Brian, Alice, Scott, Robert, Henrik, Mirjam

1. Edu Team on data tracker

Robert and Henrik showed the new Edu Team pages in the datatracker.
Discussion about revision numbers. Edu Team would like to have a field
that would show the meeting number of the document/presentation.

The tools team will implement the following before IETF 91:
- Add functionality to link slides to meetings
- Add functionality to add tutorial descriptions
- Upload all Newcomers slides to show all the versions and to bootstrap

Who will maintain the edu team datatracker pages after the bootstrap
phase? All edu team members have editing access.

Do we then get rid of the wiki and the edu pages on ietf.org?

Robert explained that the datatracker is more meant for the Edu team to
organise their documents. But is it also useful for users, particular
newcomers? The Edu Team would like (Stephanie) to keep maintaining
www.ietf.org/edu but maybe it could be made easier by linking the
tutorial slides to the datatracker. We also want to keep the wiki (Now
Brian, Radia and Alice also have admin rights in addition to Thomas,
Mirjam, Avri and Margaret).

2. IETF 90

The tutorials were not that well attended this time. Maybe we should
advertise them more in the future. We could send a message to the WG
Chairs (and possibly IETF list) to make people aware of the upcoming
tutorials (send early enough so people can make travel plans).

3. Plans for tutorials for next IETF Meetings

IETF 91 (Honolulu):
- Newcomers (Scott)
- WG Leadership (Margaret) - Mir will confirm with Margaret
- Measurements (Pick up discussion with Vinayak)
- Security Area Overview (Sean Turner - confirmed)
- WG Chairs lunch: Jitsi (see Emil Ivo's mail below) - Mir will contact Emil

IETF 92 (Dallas):
- Newcomers (Scott)
- New Work into the IETF (Thomas Narten) - Mir will ask Thomas if he
wants to do it or find someone else
-  Transport Area Overview (David Black?) - Brian will confirm with David
- DNSSEC (possibly someone from Netnod?)
- WG Chairs Lunch: Framework and Architecture and Requirements Documents
(suggested by Linda Dunbar) - Brian suggested to ask Barry Leiba; Mirjam
will contact Barry

Scott will retire in 2016 and will then not be available to give the
Newcomers Tutorial. Who else can do it?

4. Interaction with Mentoring Programme

Joint Mentor and Edu Team table at IETF 90. We also had an Edu Team
article in the IETF Journal.

The goal of the mentor programme is to encourage newcomers to return.
How can we attract more mentees.
- add a box on the registration form?
- direct mailing?

Alexa will send list of newcomers to Nalini and to the Edu Team so we
can inform them about the mentoring program and the tutorials.

-------

Mail by Emil Ivo:

Hello all,

As you may be aware we have recently installed the WebRTC based Jitsi
Meet as part of the Tools infrastructure [0]. We believe the service is
now stable enough to be considered for formal and informal interim
meetings.

We were thinking that it might be helpful to organise a tutorial (e.g.
during the chairs lunch) presenting Jitsi Meet and its features.

Would that be of interest to you?

Emil

[0] https://jitsi.tools.ietf.org

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 22:00:20 +0200

Hi Mirjam,

> you please send me his email address.

Certainly:

	Johan Ihrén, [email-masked]

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:09:33 +0200

Thanks for the pointer, Henrik. I'll contact Johan.

In the meantime I spoke to a few DNS/DNSSEC people and they suggested to
possibly broaden the scope a bit and also cover DANE.

Regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:49:10 +0200

> possibly broaden the scope a bit and also cover DANE.

Mmm.  

1) I think DANE is immensely important.  A tutorial about it would be
   a really good thing.

2) Having attended a DNSSEC tutorial (in a different venue) myself, I
   have a feeling that the amount of intricate material to cover is 
   sufficiently large that it's going to be hard to do justice to both
   it and DANE in one session.

Best regards,

	Henrik