Subject: [edu-team] My last update to http://www.ietf.org/about/process-docs.html

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 16:41:59 +1200

Hi,

I have updated this to mention RFC 7282, 7322, 7437, 7418, 7475, 7500, and
a few other tweaks.

I don't expect to update this again in its present form, for several reasons
1. It is based on XML2RFCv2 which is going away.
2. It fits into the old style web site that will shortly be refurbished.
3. I'm having a second or third attempt to retire ;-).

In my experience, this sort of update is needed about once a year; otherwise
the page will become misleading. It needs to be done by a human; I can't see
any way to automate it, because it requires someone to recognize all new or updated
process documents (and a few relevant URLs) and include them in the next version,
deleting old versions. For example, there are at least two drafts in progress now
that will need to be included when they become RFCs:
 draft-farrresnickel-harassment
 draft-kucherawy-rfc7437bis

Now I'm going to quote Alexa since I think she had it completely right
in an off-list email:

> In my mind, this sort of effort belongs with the EDU team. It's about educating
> the community on processes, after all. What do you think about asking someone
> else on the EDU team if they are willing to maintain this? Perhaps it just
> needs a designated steward? Or, if no one steps up, perhaps this topic needs to
> be on every EDU team meeting agenda -- i.e. "What needs to be updated on the
> http://www.ietf.org/about/process-docs.html page?"

So, is anybody here willing to take this on? Let's assume that the new web site
will provide some sort of content management system, so the job is to update the
content, not the format.

If not, the page should die, because it will become stale. But given the baroque
nature of the IETF process and its documents, I think that would be a shame.
Have a look at  http://www.ietf.org/about/process-docs.html if you think
I'm exaggerating.

Regards
   Brian