Subject: [edu-team] Repeat of OPS Area Overview for IETF 96?

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 15:34:34 +0200

Hi Lee,

We now had presentations of all the IETF areas (as a Sunday tutorial).
You did the OPS area tutorial at IETF 90. Would you be willing to repeat
this tutorial (or an updated version of it) at IETF 96 in Berlin, maybe
together with a second speaker?

Kind regards,
Mirjam

---

From: "Howard, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 13:47:24 +0000

I'd be willing except for two concerns:
1. I'm not sure yet what time I will arrive, and it may be Sunday morning
2. The IAB usually meets all day Sunday

So I don't actually think I can do it. I'd be happy to help someone else, though.

Lee

>together with a second speaker?

________________________________

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 15:56:50 +0200

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your prompt response and your offer to help.

We might have some other options for this upcoming IETF meeting.
Otherwise we'll get back to you.

Mirjam

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 16:00:21 +0200

Hi Edu team,

[removing Lee]

Hmmm. I wish the OPS ADs had the chance to provide feedback regarding 
the value of this training before contact Lee. I could probably find an 
old email in my folder, but I don't recall any feedback (positive or 
negative) on this.

I just happen to be part of edu-team. Otherwise, next to surprised 
authors 
[https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/internet-draft-authorship.html], 
you would be faced with surprised ADs.

Not the right way to work IMO.
I see this one my side:

    Mirjam said it would be good to hear from the IESG what they expect from the Edu Team. How do they want us to reach out to the various audiences?
    What audiences? etc.?

    Alice suggested framing a question to the IESG as "what topics are on the horizon that you think the EDU team should cover?"

And on the other side, this email to Lee.

Regards, Benoit
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
> .
>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 16:12:55 +0200

Hi Benoit,

OK, I might have been a little quick here. I was just trying to move
things forward, since the secretariat needs a list of tutorials from us
pretty soon. It was certainly not the intention to leave out the ADs
(and I knew one of them is one the list of course).

And yes, it would certainly be good to hear expectations and ideas from
the IESG, but I thought this would be more on a higher level and general
future direction rather than on the specific tutorials for Berlin. Sorry
if that was a misunderstanding.

If you think we should wait until after the IESG retreat with finalising
the tutorials for Berlin, we can do that.

Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 08:07:03 +1200

When is registration supposed to open? I'm surprised that the Secretariat
isn't already asking for the list of tutorials.

Benoit: the feedback on the Area Overview tutorials has always been
positive (both informal and when Ray included them in the post-meeting
survey). So suggesting to repeat the oldest one seemed fairly natural.
I do agree that going via the ADs concerned would be better.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Naveen Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 13:10:05 -0700

Hi Brian,

We need the tutorials as soon as possible. We are trying to open registration within this week or the next. 

Sincerely,

Naveen Khan 
IETF Administrative Coordinator
48377 Fremont Blvd. Suite 117 / Fremont, CA 94538
Direct (510) 492-4028 / Fax (510) 492-4001
Email: [email-masked] / URL:  http://www.ietf.org
 
Managed by Association Management Solutions (AMS)
Forum Management, Meeting and Event Planning
URL: http://www.amsl.com

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 09:09:49 +0200

Naveen, Brian, Mirjam,

What I get from this discussion.
- the tutorial topics for meeting X should already be discussed at 
meeting X-1. ADs and EDU could discuss.
- the IESG feedback on tutorial content is more long term: "what topics 
are on the horizon that you think the EDU team should cover?"
- the IESG feedback on the Sunday organization will be discussed at the 
retreat next week.

Regards, Benoit
> Hi Brian,
>
> We need the tutorials as soon as possible. We are trying to open 
> registration within this week or the next.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Naveen Khan
> Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> / URL: http://www.ietf.org
>
> On May 3, 2016, at 1:07 PM, Brian E Carpenter 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>>>>    Mirjam said it would be good to hear from the IESG what they 
>>>> expect from the Edu Team. How do they want us to reach out to the 
>>>> various audiences?
>>>>    What audiences? etc.?
>>>>
>>>>    Alice suggested framing a question to the IESG as "what topics 
>>>> are on the horizon that you think the EDU team should cover?"
>>>>
>>>>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 09:32:27 +0200

Hi Benoit,

> meeting X-1. ADs and EDU could discuss.

Yes. Ideally even two meetings in advance.

> are on the horizon that you think the EDU team should cover?"

Yes, that would be helpful (and possibly also for WG chair topics).

> - the IESG feedback on the Sunday organization will be discussed at the

Great.

Thanks, Benoit.

Mirjam

>> Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> /
>> URL:  <http://www.ietf.org>http://www.ietf.org
>>  
>> <<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]> wrote:
>>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 15:15:57 +0200

Hi Naveen,

We are waiting for the outcome of the IESG retreat this week before we
can finalise the list of tutorials. So far we have confirmed the following:

13:00 - Newcomers Tutorial (Mike StJohns)
13:00 - Newcomers Tutorial in German (Hans Peter Dittler)
15:00 - Emerging Work in IEEE 802 (Pat Thaler, Juan-Carlos Zuniga)

We will send you the information about the missing tutorial(s) as soon
as possible.

Kind regards,
Mirjam

On 6/5/16 00:54, Naveen Khan wrote:
> Hi Mirjam,
> 
> I see there was some discussion regarding the tutorials. Do we have a
> final list for registration?
> 
> 
> Sincerely,
> 
> Naveen Khan

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 12:13:39 -0400

Quick question - does the local language version of the newcomer's 
tutorial use the same slides? Same slides but translated?  Different slides?

If same but translated,  I just need to know as I'll have to factor in 
translation lead time.

Thanks - Mike

---

From: Naveen Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 10:54:47 -0700

Hi Mirjam,

I will go ahead and add these to the registration system. Once we have the rest, please let me know. Thank you! 

Sincerely,

Naveen Khan

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 11:48:28 +0200

Hi Mike,

I am copying Hans Peter Dittler who offered to present the German
version of the Newcomers slides.

In the past, yes, we basically translated Scott's slides into the local
language. If you want to make significant changes, it would be good if
Hans Peter could see the slides early enough so he can incorporate them.
Also, the Edu Team would like to review the slides before the meeting.

Cheers,
Mirjam