Subject: [edu-team] Bringing new work to the IETF

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 17:17:27 -0500

Hi,

At IETF 100 the IESG had some discussion about bringing new work to the IETF, and Spencer noted that the tutorial about this had not been conducted since 2011. And some of the guidance has changed.

If folks think it would be a good time to refresh this tutorial material and do it again at an upcoming IETF or webinar, I think Spencer would be willing to help (although I didn’t confirm with him directly :-)).

Thoughts?

Alissa

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 11:26:29 +0100

Hi Alissa, Hi Spencer,

I think this is a great idea and would be very useful for a lot of
people, not just newcomers.

Spencer, shall we pencil you in for IETF 101? And do you have a
co-presenter? Let us know how we can help.

Best regards,
Mirjam

On 08/12/2017 23:17, Alissa Cooper wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 11:17:27 -0600

Dear IAB,

When the IESG was chatting with the community about our current thoughts on
bringing new work into the IETF, one of the points raised was that we
haven't offered the "bringing new work into the IETF" tutorial in a while,
and it's been even longer since we've reworked it.

Alissa has volunteered me to work on this, and Mirjam has asked the obvious
question, whether I have a co-presenter in mind (and I should have a
co-presenter).

So, what I was thinking, was that because the IAB has chartered oversight
responsibility for the Internet architecture, and for the standards
process, and because the IESG is planning to involve IAB BOF shepherds
earlier in the process than we do now, it would might be good for my
co-conspirator to be an IAB member.

If you'd like to be involved on this, whether in updating the tutorial
material, presenting it, or both, please let me know.

Mirjam asked if this was likely to happen in the IETF 101 timeframe, which
would be great, and the best way to make that happen is to start work on
making it happen, sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

Spencer

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 4:26 AM
Subject: Re: [edu-team] Bringing new work to the IETF
To: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>

Hi Alissa, Hi Spencer,

Best regards,
Mirjam

On 08/12/2017 23:17, Alissa Cooper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At IETF 100 the IESG had some discussion about bringing new work to the
IETF, and Spencer noted that the tutorial about this had not been conducted
since 2011. And some of the guidance has changed.
>
> If folks think it would be a good time to refresh this tutorial material
and do it again at an upcoming IETF or webinar, I think Spencer would be
willing to help (although I didn’t confirm with him directly :-)).