Subject: [edu-team] Tutorial idea: How to combat Impostor Syndrome

From: Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 09:44:01 +0100

Dear edu team,

you've probably heard this before, but I think having a non-technical
tutorial on Impostor Syndrome and how to combat it is a very good idea. :)

At least I've had a couple conversations around it this week and I think
it's a widespread problem, especially among groups currently
underrepresented at the IETF, and given that we have a shortage of
candidates for leadership positions.

Best,
Theresa

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 09:49:25 +0000

I’m under-educated; I had to look the term up. Tell me more? It sounds like a persistent feeling that one is around “all these smart people” and doesn’t feel like their contributions are worth much, or are not perceived as being worth much.

Sent using a machine that autocorrects in interesting ways...

> On Mar 24, 2018, at 8:44 AM, Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Dear edu team,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 18:18:35 +0100

Hi Fred,

> I’m under-educated; I had to look the term up. Tell me more? It sounds like a persistent feeling that one is around “all these smart people” and doesn’t feel like their contributions are worth much…

That's exactly it. I talked to several people over the week who felt
like this, and it's not only people who are there for the first time.

Here's a good resource for further reading:
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Best,
Theresa

-- 
Theresa Enghardt
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin / Research Assistant
Phone: +49 30 314 78628
Office: MAR 4.032

FG / Group "Internet Network Architectures" (INET)
Technische Universität Berlin
Sekr. MAR 4-4, Marchstraße 23, 10587 Berlin

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 21:07:08 +0000

Your URL associates it with feminism. For the record, I sometimes feel that way, and I am neither female nor feminist. I would question whether putting it there degrades women or their contributions.

YMMV.

> On Mar 24, 2018, at 5:18 PM, Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Fred,
>

---

From: Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 22:23:50 +0100

> Your URL associates it with feminism. For the record, I sometimes feel that way, and I am neither female nor feminist. I would question whether putting it there degrades women or their contribution…

The geekfeminism resource was simply the most comprehensive and concise
resource I could find, that's the main reason I linked to it. :)

I think impostor syndrome is affecting everyone to a degree. I don't
think that acknowledging how our patriarchal society tells women and
other minorities particularly strong that they don't belong in tech
degrades their contributions in any way.

In any case, no matter if you frame it in a feminist way or not, I
consider it helpful to talk about impostor syndrome and supporting
people to get better at dealing with it.

Best,
Theresa

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 21:27:53 +0000

Does it make sense to somehow "pair" this with the newcomer's tutorial/events?  Or perhaps update the recently-updated slides to address it more explicitly?

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 19:04:10 +0200

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Theresa!

I can confirm Imposter Syndrome is very prevalent in the IETF, and this
is something I think we have sought to address in the newcomers seminar
and quick connections (but apparently not clear enough!).

I think it makes sense to integrate this better/further with Quick
Connections, mentoring and the newcomers tutorial/webinar, question is:
what is the best way to do that? Maybe a dedicated slide? Suggestions
very welcome!

Best,

Niels

Niels ten Oever

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3