Subject: [edu-team] Fwd: [102-newcomers] IETF 102 Newcomer's Resources and Events

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 17:05:02 +0200

Hi Greg,

Here is the mail Alexa sent out yesterday. I am copying the Edu Team so
everyone is in the loop.

Mirjam

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [102-newcomers] IETF 102 Newcomer's Resources and Events
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 16:25:23 -0700
From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

We are looking forward to seeing you soon in Montreal for IETF 102!

You are receiving this email because you indicated during registration
that you’ve attended fewer than five IETF meetings.  As a relative
newcomer (and perhaps even first-time attendee) we want to make sure
that you are aware of the various resources we’ve developed to get you
up to speed.
1. Before the Meeting:

a. Attend a Webinar: There are two options to participate in the IETF
Newcomer’s Webinar
- Thursday July 5 at 1200 UTC (5 AM PDT / 8 AM EDT / 1 PM CET / 9 PM JST)
- Tuesday July 10 at 1500 UTC (8 AM PDT / 11 AM EDT / 4 PM CET /
midnight JST)

During this session we will provide a brief overview of how to prepare
for the IETF 102 meeting week.  More importantly, we will give you the
opportunity to ask any of the questions you may have. Join here:
http://www.meetecho.com/ietf102/newcomers_webinar.

b. Read Ahead:  If you’ve not done so yet, please take a few minutes to
watch the excellent “Top 10 Things to Know Before Your First IETF
Meeting” video embedded on this page, under Attending a Meeting:
https://ietf.org/about/participate/get-started/meetings/.  We also
strongly encourage you to review The Tao of the IETF, which is available
online at https://www.ietf.org/tao.html.
c. Find a Mentor: Would you like the opportunity to have a seasoned IETF
attendee introduce you to the ways of an IETF meeting? The IETF
Mentoring Program matches experienced IETF participants with newcomers
in order to aid their integration into the IETF community. You can find
more information at
https://ietf.org/about/participate/mentoring/mentoring-participant-faq/
and you can request a mentor via this Google form:
https://goo.gl/forms/U6twcSpohE5gBR6f1.

Additional Resources: Additional IETF 102 resources for newcomers are
available here: https://ietf.org/how/meetings/102/newcomers/.
2. During the Meeting
Below are highlights of the newcomer-specific events during the IETF 102
meeting week.

a.  Events on Sunday, July 15
- A Newcomers Orientation is from 12:30-13:30 in the Viger room of the
Fairmont, The Queen Elizabeth. If you are unable to attend on Sunday,
you can access an online version of the Newcomers Orientation via
https://ietf.org/about/participate/tutorials/newcomers/.

- The IETF Newcomer's Quick Connections is from in 15:00-16:00 in Place
du Canada. NOTE: Pre-registration is required and space is extremely
limited. Newcomer's Quick Connections is a simple and effective way for
you to be introduced to a variety of experienced IETF attendees — often
working group (WG) chairs — who can help you get more involved in your
areas of interest. You can sign up for Newcomer's Quick Connections
here: https://goo.gl/forms/pqWWRH8JJ7EGK7dU2.

- A Newcomer’s Meet-and-Greet with WG chairs and other IETF leaders is
from 16:00-17:00 in Place du Canada.  Only newcomers and IETF leadership
are invited to this informal and laid-back gathering; there will be no
speeches or presentations. Beer, wine, soda, and light appetizers will
be provided. This special reception provides a valuable opportunity to
mingle with WG chairs, mentors and other leaders before the meeting week
gets started.  If you are hoping to speak with a particular WG chair,
you may want to check out our photo directory:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/photos/. The Meet-and-Greet will end
promptly at 1700.  At that time, you are encouraged to remain in Place
du Canada for the official IETF 102 Welcome Reception. This reception is
open to the entire community, and it’s considered by many to be the
informal kick-off of the week’s meeting.
b. Events on Monday, July 16
- An informal Newcomer’s dinner is at a nearby restaurant (location
still TBD). If you are interested in joining, please rsvp to
[email-masked] no later than 14:00 on July 16.

c. Events on Thursday, July 19
- A Newcomer’s Feedback Session is from 8:15-9:15 in Square Dorchester
and a hot breakfast will be served. We are always eager to get feedback
on the effectiveness of our newcomer related activities. What do you
wish you’d known before you arrived? Which programs or activities were
especially helpful and which programs or activities need to be revised?
We’d like to hear from you, so please plan to attend.

Finally, for general logistical information (e.g., how to get from the
airport to your hotel) please check out our meeting wiki at
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ietf/meeting/wiki/ietf102. If you have
information to share, please create an account and contribute.
Safe Travels,

Alexa Morris
IETF Executive Director
_______________________________________________
102-newcomers mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/102-newcomers

---

From: Greg Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 11:12:36 -0400

Thanks! I got it the first time too, but it came through after I signed off yesterday and I was processing email LIFO. I need to learn patience.;-)

-Greg

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 11:05 AM, Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Hi Greg,
>

---

From: Greg Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 11:24:42 -0400

Hi Mirjam,

I was able to see part of the first session this morning—it looked like there were ~20 non-EDU people online, which was great. (I’m not sure if we are tracking attendance across webinars so don’t know how it compares to previous ones.) 

Two questions:

+ I heard a few GDPR-related questions, but wasn’t able to follow if they were answered, or whether they needed further follow up. Let me know if you think there is further follow-up needed.

+ We got really good pick up on social media (relative to similar messages) for the webinar reminders sent so far. (e.g. https://twitter.com/ietf/status/1014611306408759296)

Another wave of reminders is scheduled in advance of the 10 July webinar—and I was wondering if we might broaden the scope to invite anyone interested in learning about the IETF *generally* to join the Webinar? I can’t see a downside, and I think the presentation provides a nice general intro to the IETF (not just people planning on attending the meeting, even though some of the content is meeting-specific).

Thoughts?

-Greg

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 11:12 AM, Greg Wood <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 15:30:15 +0000

Was the session recorded?  Will the recording be available before I have to present on Tuesday? :)

On 7/5/18, 11:24 AM, "Greg Wood" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi Mirjam,

    Two questions:

    
    
    Thoughts?
    
    -Greg

---

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 15:38:21 +0000

Hi Greg,

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 11:24 AM, Greg Wood <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Mirjam,
> 

I think by the end Mirjam and I counted about 25 non-edu folks. Excellent attendance and good interactions with the team. 

> + I heard a few GDPR-related questions, but wasn’t able to follow if they were answered, or whether they needed further follow up. Let me know if you think there is further follow-up needed.

No follow-up needed. It was just a question about whether the attendance list was available or not (or had it been GDPR’d). The list is still online and we just pointed to it in the chat. 

> Another wave of reminders is scheduled in advance of the 10 July webinar—and I was wondering if we might broaden the scope to invite anyone interested in learning about the IETF *generally* to join…

Sure… go for it…

---

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 15:40:06 +0000

It was recorded. Mirjam and I talked afterwards as well. I have a some slides updated from Mirjam that I need to make a few additional updates to as well. I’ll send these to you by COB tomorrow. Also, It might be good to schedule a dry run for you with the Meetecho guys. The Meetecho webinar interface is a bit different than the one used at meetings. You don’t need to do the whole presentation but just to try things out and get familiar with the interface. 

In the “moderator” role, I monitored the chat and added bits here and there throughout the presentation. I’ll be doing the same for you on Tuesday. 

Karen

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 11:30 AM, Salz, Rich <rsalz=[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Greg Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 17:22:38 -0400

All sounds good. I’ll tweak the next wave of notices. BTW, below is one of the reactions from twitter. Excellent "word of mouth” marketing.

-Greg

@beatricemartini said:

"I'm looking forward to my first @IETF and today's webinar was great! If you're a newcomer and couldn't join today, don't miss the next one! #IETF102"

Jul 05, 2018 2:49 pm

https://twitter.com/beatricemartini/status/1014944485632028672 

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 11:38 AM, Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Greg,
>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 09:30:18 +0200

Great. Thanks for sharing, Greg. And thanks for all the PR.

Regarding your second question, I agree with Karen: we don't necessarily
have to restrict this to newcomers - as long as Meetecho can take the
load (I am not sure if there is a limit for number of participants).

Mirjam

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 12:26:13 +0000

Ping.

On 7/5/18, 11:29 AM, "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    
        Hi Mirjam,

        Two questions:

        
        
        Thoughts?
        
        -Greg

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 14:33:15 +0200

Hi Tobia,

I believe the IETF newcomers webinar last week was recorded, right? If
so, can you please share the recording with Rich.

Karen, did you send the final version of the slides to Rich (and are
they on the wiki)?

Cheers,
Mirjam