Subject: [Emu] Call for Agenda items

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:37:54 +0100

Please submit requests for agenda items to the EMU chairs.

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Pascal Urien <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:22:31 +0100

Hi All

I would like present the draft-urien-eap-smartcard-22.txt (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-urien-eap-smartcard-22 ) at the next EMU
IETF meeting in Paris.

This draft, whose first version was issued in 2002, is an ISO7816 interface
for EAP methods such as EAP-SIM, EAP-AKA and EAP-TLS. It has been
validated/tested with many most secure microcontrollers supporting the
javacard language and associated JVM (i.e. javacards). It comprises three
sets of test vectors for EAP-SIM, EAP-AKA and EAP-TLS.

Recent smartphones (Android, RIM, … ) include Secure Elements, usually
embedded in NFC controllers that are equipped with javacard JVM, and which
are consequently compatible with this draft.

The tested EAP methods implementations need require less than 20KB of
nonvolatile memory and 1KB of RAM, these features are compatible with the
Secure Elements resources.

Regards

Pascal Urien

2012/3/6 Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>

> _______________________________________________
> Emu mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/emu
>

---

From: Hao Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:07:52 -0500

> I would like 30 mins of discussion on TEAP,
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tunnel-method-02.txt
> 
>

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:59:00 -0400

Hi.
I'm confused.
I'd like to understand why you'd like to present this draft?
What response are you hoping for from the EMU working group?

---

From: Pascal Urien <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 23:11:18 +0100

Hi Sam

"EAP Support in Smartcard" targets an Informational RFC. The first version
was released in 2002 and presented at the IETF 55th in Atlanta., last
version (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-urien-eap-smartcard-22) was
issued in January 2012.

Today many implementations (EAP-SIM, EAP-AKA , EAP-TLS) of this draft are
working in Secure Elements, with or without NFC connectivity.

The goal of the presentation at the IETF 83 in Paris is to push this draft
as an Informational RFC.

Regards

Pascal

2012/3/13 Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:00:57 -0400

>>>>> "Pascal" == Pascal Urien <[email-masked]> writes:

    Pascal> The goal of the presentation at the IETF 83 in Paris is to
    Pascal> push this draft as an Informational RFC.

Hi. I'm glad you want to publish this work as an RFC because I believe
it's valuable and I'd like to see it an archival form.
I'm supportive of efficiently publishing it as an RFC.

I remaind confused because I don't understand how presenting the draft
again to EMU will help that.  Are you hoping that emu will adopt the
document and we'll publish an informational rfc through emu?  If so, I'm
confused because I don't think that's in our charter.

If you're hoping for an informational RFC not through EMU (either
independent stream or IETF stream), how does the presentation help your
goal?

---

From: Pascal Urien <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:25:58 +0100

Hi Sam

EMU meansEAP Method Update.

The EMU WG is the child of the EAP WG

The eap smartcard draft was presented several times to the EAP WG.

But the support of efficient implementation and its compatibility with
smartphone OS, required more time than the EAP WG lifetime

Regards

Pascal

2012/3/14 Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:34:46 -0400

>>>>> "Pascal" == Pascal Urien <[email-masked]> writes:

    Pascal> Hi Sam EMU meansEAP Method Update.

Hi. Thanks for the clarification. It turns out I'm reasonably familiar
with the history of the EMU and EAP working groups.

I remain confused. If you are ready to publish your draft, why do you
need to present it to anyone?  Based on my understanding of your
document, you can simply ask the RFC editor to publish your draft as an
informational document.
Doing that is almost certainly the most efficient process for getting
your document published.

Again, I think it would be a great idea to see this work published.

---

From: Pascal Urien <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:24:38 +0100

Hi Sam,

 Thank you for this support.

  I am going to publish this draft as informational document

  I will attend to this next EMU WG meeting in Paris

Regards

Pascal

2012/3/15 Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>