Subject: [Emu] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-aura-eap-noob-02.txt

From: Mohit Sethi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 12:14:49 +0300

Hi folks

We have submitted a new version of our draft titled “Nimble out-of-band 
authentication for EAP (EAP-NOOB)”.

The draft defines an EAP method where the authentication is based on a 
user-assisted out-of-band (OOB) channel between the server and peer. It 
is intended as a generic bootstrapping solution for Internet-of-Things 
devices which have no pre-configured authentication credentials and 
which are not yet registered on the authentication server. Consider 
devices you just bought or borrowed.

For one application example, we are currently using this protocol for 
bootstrapping security for ubiquitous displays: the user can configure 
wireless network access, link the device to a cloud service, and 
register ownership of the device for a specific cloud user – all in one 
simple step of scanning a QR code with a smart phone. EAP-NOOB relies on 
server assigned random identifiers instead of hard-coded ones which 
makes it privacy friendly.

The draft has underdone a major revision based on implementation 
experience. For example, the new version has improved cryptoagility, and 
refined the error handling and timeouts. The updated draft is available 
here:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aura-eap-noob-02

A complete list of updates can be found from the version history in the 
appendix of the draft.

The open source implementation can be tracked here:
https://github.com/tuomaura/eap-noob

We look forward to your feedback and comments here or on the SAAG 
mailing list.

--Mohit

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for draft-aura-eap-noob-02.txt
Date: 	Thu, 25 May 2017 12:52:46 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Tuomas Aura <[email-masked]>, Mohit Sethi <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-aura-eap-noob-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Mohit Sethi and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-aura-eap-noob
Revision:	02
Title:		Nimble out-of-band authentication for EAP (EAP-NOOB)
Document date:	2017-05-24
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		47
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aura-eap-noob-02.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-aura-eap-noob/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aura-eap-noob-02
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-aura-eap-noob-02
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-aura-eap-noob-02

Abstract:
    Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) provides support for
    multiple authentication methods.  This document defines the EAP-NOOB
    authentication method for nimble out-of-band (OOB) authentication and
    key derivation.  This EAP method is intended for bootstrapping all
    kinds of Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices that have a minimal user
    interface and no pre-configured authentication credentials.  The
    method makes use of a user-assisted one-directional OOB channel
    between the peer device and authentication server.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat