Subject: [Entmib] Proposed Implementation Checklist

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 09:19:37 -0400

Hi All,

I have taken a stab at developing two checklists that can be
used to evaluate the completeness of RFC 2737 Entity MIB
implementations.  One checklist is for manager implementations,
and the other is for agent implementations.  They are both
included in the attached internet draft.

Please let me know if you think there are other Entity
MIB features that should be added to these lists.  Also,
please let me know if you find any technical errors.

I'd like to finalize the checklists within the next two weeks,
so please provide any feedback no later than May 11th.

Thanks,
Margaret

Internet  Draft                                         M. Wasserman
Document: draft-ietf-entmib-impl-check-00.txt             Wind River
Expires:  November 2001                                     May 2001

                 Entity MIB Implementation Checklists

Status of this Memo

    This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance
    with all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

    Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
    Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
    other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
    Drafts.

    Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
    months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents
    at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as
    reference material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

    The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
         http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt
    The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
         http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Abstract

    This document is a checklist to verify the completeness of Entity
    MIB (Version 2)[RFC2737] agent and manager implementations based on
    RFC 2737.  This document will be used to gather and evaluate
    implementation experience in an effort to determine whether RFC 2737
    is ready to advance to Draft Standard.

    Wasserman            Expires November 2001                       1
                  Entity MIB Implementation Checklist         May 2001

Table of Contents

    Status of this Memo................................................1
    Abstract...........................................................1
    Copyright Notice...................................................2
    Conventions Used In This Document..................................2
    Agent Implementation Checklist.....................................3
    Manager Implementation Checklist...................................5
    Security Considerations............................................7
    References.........................................................7
    Author's Address...................................................7

Copyright Notice

    Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999).  All Rights Reserved.

Conventions Used In This Document

    The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
    "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in
    this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119
    [RFC2119].

    Wasserman            Expires November 2001                       2
                  Entity MIB Implementation Checklist         May 2001

Agent Implementation Checklist

    This section should be completed by individuals or companies who
    have implemented RFC 2737 support in an SNMP agent.

    Is your Entity MIB agent an independent implementation?  Or is it
    based on public domain or commercial code?  If it is not
    independent, what code base was used?

    Have you done any interoperability testing with managers that
    implement the Entity MIB?  If so, which manager implementations have
    been used with your agent?

    For each manager with which you have interoperated, which of the
    following features were tested? Duplicate this section for each
    manager, and indicate yes or no (Y/N) for each feature:

    Manager Implementation Used: <Name>
    Original Manager Code Base (if known):  <Name>
    (Y/N) Manager implemented independently from your agent?
    (Y/N) Read access to Entity MIB variables.
    (Y/N) Write access to Entity MIB variables.
    (Y/N) Sending and receiving Entity MIB notifications.
    (Y/N) Tested using SNMPv1/v2c.
    (Y/N) Tested using SNMPv3.

    Are there any unresolved interoperability issues between your Entity
    MIB agent and any Entity MIB manager that may indicate problems in
    the specification?  If so, please provide technical details.

    Does your implementation support the following textual conventions,
    including the updates and changes since RFC 2037?

    (Y/N) Supports PhysicalIndex TC.
    (Y/N) Supports updated PhysicalClass TC.
    (Y/N)        Uses new "stack(11)" enumeration.
    (List)       Please list the PhysicalClass values suported by your
                 implementation:
    (Y/N) Supports new SNMPEngineIDorNone TC.
    (Y/N)        Does your agent support SNMPv3?

    Does your Entity MIB agent implement the following groups and
    objects?  Indicate yes or no (Y or N) for each group and object:

    (Y/N) entityPhysical Group
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalIndex
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalDescr
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalVendorType
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalContainedIn
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalClass
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalParentRelPos
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalName
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalHardwareRev
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalFirmwareRev

    Wasserman            Expires November 2001                       3
                  Entity MIB Implementation Checklist         May 2001

    (Y/N)        entPhysicalSoftwareRev
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalSerialNum
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalMfgName
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalModelName
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalAlias
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalAssetID
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalIsFRU
    (Y/N) entityLogical Group
    (Y/N)        entLogicalIndex
    (Y/N)        entLogicalDescr
    (Y/N)        entLogicalType
    (Y/N)        entLogicalTAddress
    (Y/N)        entLogicalTDomain
    (Y/N)        entLogicalContextEngineID
    (Y/N)        entLogicalContextName
    (Y/N) entityMapping Group
    (Y/N)        entLPPhysicalIndex
    (Y/N)        entAliasLogicalIndexOrZero
    (Y/N)        entAliasMappingIdentifier
    (Y/N) entityGeneral Group
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalChildIndex

    Does your implementation allow managers to write to the following
    read-write objects?  Indicate yes or no (Y or N) for each object:

    (Y/N) entPhysicalSerialNum
    (Y/N) entPhysicalAlias
    (Y/N) entPhysicalAssetID

    Does your implementation include each of the following
    notifications?  Indicate yes or no (Y or N) for each notification:

    (Y/N) entConfigChange

    Does your agent implement MODULE-COMPLIANCE? (Y/N)  If so, does it
    provide compliance information for the Entity MIB?

    Wasserman            Expires November 2001                       4
                  Entity MIB Implementation Checklist         May 2001

Manager Implementation Checklist

    This section should be completed by individuals or companies who
    have implemented RFC 2737 support in an SNMP manager.  Companies
    that have implemented both an agent and a manager should complete
    both the agent and manager sections of this checklist.

    Is your Entity MIB manager an independent implementation?  Or is it
    based on public domain or commercial code?  If it is not
    independent, what code base was used?

    Have you done any interoperability testing with agents that
    implement the Entity MIB?  If so, which agent implementations have
    been used with your manager?

    For each agent with which you have interoperated, which of the
    following features were tested? Duplicate this section for each
    agent, and indicate yes or no (Y/N) for each feature:

    Agent Implementation Used: <Name>
    Original Code Base (if known):  <Name>
    (Y/N) Agent implemented independently from your manager?
    (Y/N) Read access to Entity MIB variables.
    (Y/N) Write access to Entity MIB variables.
    (Y/N) Sending and receiving Entity MIB notifications.
    (Y/N) Tested using SNMPv1/v2c.
    (Y/N) Tested using SNMPv3.

    Are there any unresolved interoperability issues between your Entity
    MIB manager and any Entity MIB agent that may indicate problems in
    the specification?  If so, please provide technical details.

    Does your implementation support the following textual conventions,
    including the updates and changes since RFC 2037?

    (Y/N) Supports PhysicalIndex TC.
    (Y/N) Supports updated PhysicalClass TC.
    (Y/N)        Displays names of enumerated types, including
                 stack(11).
    (Y/N) Supports new SNMPEngineIDorNone TC.
    (Y/N)        Does your manager support SNMPv3?

    Is your Entity MIB manager able to get and display the following
    groups and objects?  Indicate yes or no (Y or N) for each group and
    object:

    (Y/N) entityPhysical Group
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalIndex
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalDescr
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalVendorType
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalContainedIn
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalClass
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalParentRelPos
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalName

    Wasserman            Expires November 2001                       5
                  Entity MIB Implementation Checklist         May 2001

    (Y/N)        entPhysicalHardwareRev
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalFirmwareRev
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalSoftwareRev
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalSerialNum
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalMfgName
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalModelName
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalAlias
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalAssetID
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalIsFRU
    (Y/N) entityLogical Group
    (Y/N)        entLogicalIndex
    (Y/N)        entLogicalDescr
    (Y/N)        entLogicalType
    (Y/N)        entLogicalTAddress
    (Y/N)        entLogicalTDomain
    (Y/N)        entLogicalContextEngineID
    (Y/N)        entLogicalContextName
    (Y/N) entityMapping Group
    (Y/N)        entLPPhysicalIndex
    (Y/N)        entAliasLogicalIndexOrZero
    (Y/N)        entAliasMappingIdentifier
    (Y/N) entityGeneral Group
    (Y/N)        entPhysicalChildIndex

    Is your manager capable of writing to the following read-write
    objects?  Indicate yes or no (Y or N) for each object:

    (Y/N) entPhysicalSerialNum
    (Y/N) entPhysicalAlias
    (Y/N) entPhysicalAssetID

    Does your manager understand each of the following notifications?
    Indicate yes or no (Y or N) for each notification:

    (Y/N) entConfigChange

    Does your manager understand MODULE-COMPLIANCE? (Y/N)  If so, does
    it perform differently based on the compliance information for the
    Entity MIB?  If so, please explain.

    Wasserman            Expires November 2001                       6
                  Entity MIB Implementation Checklist         May 2001

Security Considerations

    This document is a checklist that can be used to determine the
    completeness of an RFC 2737 implementation.  It does not specify a
    protocol, discusses no security issues and has no special security
    considerations.

References

    [RFC2119]
         S. Bradner, "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement
         Levels", RFC 2119, BCP14, March 1999.

    [RFC2737]
         K. McCloghrie, A. Bierman, "Entity MIB (Version 2)", RFC 2737,
         April 1999.

Author's Address

    Margaret Wasserman
    Wind River
    10 Tara Blvd., Suite 330     Phone:  (603) 897-2067
    Nashua, NH  03062            Email:  [email-masked]

    Wasserman            Expires November 2001                       7

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib