Subject: [Entmib] stack of modules

From: "Prakash Easwar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:48:44 -0400

The entity MIB imposes the restriction that "Only chassis entities should be contained within a stack"  Any reason why? Why can't we have modules contained within  a "Stack". I was thinking along the lines "stackable modules". 

The following is taken, for the sake of reference,  from the entity mib  

MODULE

  The enumeration 'module' is applicable if the physical entity class is
  some sort of self-contained sub-system.  
  If it is removable, then it should be modeled within a container entity, 
  otherwise it should be modeled directly within 
  another physical entity (e.g., a chassis or another module).

CHASSIS

            The enumeration 'chassis' is applicable if the physical 
            entity class is an overall container for networking 
            equipment.  Any class of physical entity except a stack may 
            be contained within a chassis, and a chassis may only be 
            contained within a stack. 

 STACK
            The enumeration 'stack' is applicable if the physical entity 
            class is some sort of super-container (possibly virtual), 
            intended to group together multiple chassis entities.   
            ...  Only chassis entities should be contained within a stack."

---

From: Mark Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:18:17 -0400

Prakash,

Why not work with the model of a module(9) within a chassis(3) within a
stack(11)?  This model appears to satisfy stated needs since a
standalone module must exist within some sort of overall container.

Regards,

Mark

Prakash Easwar wrote:

>
>
> The entity MIB imposes the restriction that "Only chassis entities
> should be contained within a stack"  Any reason why? Why can't we have
> modules
> contained within  a "Stack". I was thinking along the lines "stackable
> modules".
>

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib