Subject: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #72] AutoReply: Usage State: distinction between 'ac tive' and 'busy'

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:55:18 -0500

Hi

Proposed Resolution ent-state-72:

In the description of entStateUsage replace

     "The usage state for this entity."

With

     "The usage state for this entity.  Note that in the context
     of a physical entity, this object refers to an entity's
     ability to service more physical entities in a containment
     hierarchy. A value of idle means that no other entity
     is contained within this entity, as would have been
     demonstrated by a value of entPhysicalContainedIn
     that referenced this entity.  A value of 'active' means that
     at least one entity is contained within this entity and therefore
     has a value of entPhysicalContainedIn that references this
     entity, but that it could handle more. A value of 'busy' means
     that the entity is unable to handle any additional entities
     being contained in it, as demonstrated by having a value of
     entPhysicalContainedIn that refers to this entity."

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 12:43 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #72] AutoReply: Usage State: distinction between 'active'
and 'busy'
<clip>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [[email-masked]]

"I perceive a problem with the way 'usage state' is being defined and 
modeled. The distinction between 'active' and 'busy' is not clear. The 
difference between the two should be whether the entity has spare 
capacity to serve additional 'users'. A phrase in section 2 mentions 
that 'In the context of this MIB, the user is equivalent to an entity', 
and I do not really know how to interpret this. Can entStateUsage of an 
entity of type powerSupply have a value of 'active' if it does not 
provide all amperage it is capable of, or only 'busy' is acceptable, as 
2.3.4.3 seems to indicate? Same question for a fan, that supports 
several speeds? "

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:55:18 -0500

Hi

With

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 12:43 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #72] AutoReply: Usage State: distinction between 'active'
and 'busy'
<clip>