Subject: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #71] AutoReply: entStateAdmin usage clarification re quired

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:33:02 -0500

Hi

Sorry for taking so long. I've just submitted an update to that other MIB of
mine, so I've got some bandwidth to work on this again. If you remember, we
are experimenting with using the problem tracking tool. I'm going to update
each problem ticket with the proposed resolution and send it to the mailing
list for comment. After some arbitrary amount of time has past, if there are
no objections to the proposed resolutions, I'll close the issue in the
problem tracker and include the change in the list of changes for the next
release of the draft. If there are comments, I'll try to capture that as
well in the tracker tool. Sound reasonable? Ok, here goes ...

Proposed Resolution for ent-state-71:

In the description of entStateAdmin replace

"The administrative state for this entity."

With

"The administrative state for this entity. This object can not
be administratively set to 'notSupported'. For entities that do
not support administrative state, changing the value of this
object to something other than 'notSupported' is not permitted.
A value of 'inconsistentValue' will be returned in either case.

Some physical entities exhibit only a subset of the remaining
administrative state values. Some entities cannot
be locked, and hence this object exhibits only the unlocked state.
Other entities can not be
shut down gracefully, and hence this object does not exhibit the
shutting down state. A value of 'inconsistentValue' will be returned if
attempts are made to set this object to values not supported by its
administrative model."

-----Original Message-----
From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 12:39 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #71] AutoReply: entStateAdmin usage clarification required
<clip>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [[email-masked]]

"If entStateAdmin is to be made a read-write object, there is a need 
for more clarity about what values are allowed to be set on write 
operations. I assume that 'notSupported' is not a writeable value. but 
how is a physical entity shut down? by setting the value of 
entStateAdmin to 'shuttingDown' or to 'locked'?"

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:33:02 -0500

Hi

With

-----Original Message-----
From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 12:39 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #71] AutoReply: entStateAdmin usage clarification required
<clip>