Subject: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #75] AutoReply: Notifications

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:29:54 -0500

Hi

Proposed Resolution ent-state-75:

Note that the operational state can only take on three values
                 {
                 notSupported (1),
                 disabled(2),
                 enabled(3)
                 }

notSupported would mean these notifications would never be sent. A
value of disabled means that entStateOperDisabled would be sent.
enabled means that entStateOperEnabled would be sent. So, while the
notifications can certainly benefit from some clarifying text,
actually varbinding in operational state is redundant. If people feel
it would be of value to put it in anyways, I'm game, but for now I
propose we don't.

I'm open to suggestions for the name of the notifications.

In the description of entStateOperEnabled replace

              "The entity is operational. The entity this
              notification refers can be identified by
              extracting the entPhysicalIndex from one of the
              variable bindings."

With

              "An entStateOperEnabled trap signifies that the SNMP
              entity, acting in an agent role, has detected that the
              entStateOper object for one of its entitiesleft the
              disabled state and transitioned into the enabled state.

              The entity this notification refers can be identified by
              extracting the entPhysicalIndex from one of the
              variable bindings."

And in the description of entStateOperDisabled replace

              "The entity is not operational. The entity this
              notification refers can be identified by
              extracting the entPhysicalIndex from one of the
              variable bindings."

With

              "An entStateOperDisabled trap signifies that the SNMP
              entity, acting in an agent role, has detected that the
              entStateOper object for one of its entities left the
              enabled state and transitioned into the disabled state.

              The entity this notification refers can be identified by
              extracting the entPhysicalIndex from one of the
              variable bindings."

And in the entStateCompliance and the following

         GROUP       entStateNotificationsGroup
          DESCRIPTION
              "This group is optional."

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 4:12 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #75] AutoReply: Notifications

<clip>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [[email-masked]]

"Notifications - first the names are very confusing - they are called 
OperEnabled and OperDisabled, while they carry only entStateAdmin, and 
entStateAlarm objects. I think that at least entStateOper should be 
added. It also is not defined when these notifications are supposed to 
be sent. "

Juergen Schoenwaelder [[email-masked]]

'l) Implementation of the notifications is unconditionally optional?
'

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:29:54 -0500

Hi

With

With

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: entity-state [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 4:12 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]
Subject: [psg.com #75] AutoReply: Notifications

<clip>