Subject: [ESDS] Call for participation in the IETF ESDS BOF

From: "Maged Girgis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:10:10 -0500

Hello,

This is a call for participation in the IETF ESDS BOF session to be held
during the week of March 9-14 at the IETF meeting in Philadelphia.

There are important changes happening in supply chain industry standards
that can affect your business. Decisions are currently being made on network
communication standards that could radically change the way you trade data
with your supply chain partners.  

Current supply chain technologies consist of point to point data exchange
between partners and thus limit communication of business critical data in
cases where disparate backend systems are being used by loosely coupled
supply chain partners. Discovery Services are a secure mechanism needed to
enable supply chain partners with little or no prior business relationships
to selectively exchange tracking (and referral) data for objects they are
handling in the supply chain. An IETF working group would be tasked with
developing a standardized mechanism for this type of data sharing that uses
Internet technology and would include attention to issues surrounding
security, data formats and scalability amongst others.

Some of the issues the group would address include developing discovery
service support for all open supply chain identifiers - including both
legacy identifiers and newer standards around RFID;  the ability to handle
supply chain exceptions and optimize routing through selective 2-way supply
chain visibility; enabling limited visibility to regulators and customs
agents as required; and attain better cost metrics by using the internet to
securely exchange selected data while conforming to current Internet
infrastructure architecture.

The primary goal of this BOF is to see whether there is enough interest to
form a working group around developing a standard for Discovery Services
that addresses these and other issues. An IETF working group would
potentially provide a larger open community to facilitate discussion and
participation of all interested parties.

If you interested in attending, or have questions, please RSVP to Maged
Girgis at 416-673-8635 or HYPERLINK
"mailto:[email-masked]"[email-masked]. Registration details for
the IETF Meeting can be found at:

HYPERLINK
"http://www3.ietf.org/meetings/71-IETF.html"http://www3.ietf.org/meetings/71
-IETF.html

Specific details regarding this BOF event TBA.

We hope to see you there.

Maged Girgis
Auto-ID Program Manager
Afilias
204-4141 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario M2P 2A8
HYPERLINK "mailto:[email-masked]"[email-masked]
Office: +1 416 673 8365
Mobile: +1 416 721 4216

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.15/1249 - Release Date: 29/01/2008
9:51 AM

_______________________________________________
ESDS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds