Subject: Re: [ESDS] Updated Draft Problem Statement 01

From: Mark Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 23:33:20 +0000

Dear ESDS group,

I have a comment regarding section 5.9 of the revised problem statement.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rezafard-esds-problem-statement-01#section-5.9

With reference to the sentence,
" ESDS should give consideration to approaches for dealing with access  
control and visibility of extended information and protocols.",
	we probably need to be clearer about what we mean by ‘extended  
information’.

Does 'extended information' refer to:

	1) standard but non-mandatory data fields?
OR
	2) non-standard data fields specified by the user or technology  
provider?

My observations:
1) non-mandatory data fields within events are not really extensions -  
just optional fields
2) requires an extension mechanism, to avoid collisions and promote  
forward compatibility as well as backward compatibility.

Best regards,

- Mark Harrison
_______________________________________________
ESDS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds