Subject: [ESDS] Straw man for input into a revised problem statement for ESDS

From: Mark Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:41:03 +0000

Dear ESDS folks,

Thinking about some of the questions asked at the recent BOF meeting  
and also some of Eric's and Margaret's questions and our responses,  
I've made an attempt to rewrite the problem statement from a fresh  
start (rather than modifying the previous problem statement for ESDS)

I think it's important to try to provide clarity about the scope of  
ESDS and in particular:

What is ESDS?
What kinds of objects are we tracking and tracing?
How will those objects be identified?
What are the challenges?
Potential problem for DNS
What is outside the scope of ESDS?

This also includes some of the important statements are about what  
ESDS is NOT -
e.g. a Discovery Services not a data aggregator or meta-EPCIS.
e.g. the objects we're tracking are generally not devices and in  
general will not have a conventional network interface (Ethernet /  
WiFi etc.).

However, multiple organizations will collect, store and (under some  
circumstances be willing to) share some information about these  
individually identifiable objects - and the focus of ESDS is to  
provide a mechanism to find the network addresses (URLs) of such  
information stores / services that have data for a particular  
individual object.

I hope that the attached document (saved as a Rich Text Format file)  
can help stimulate some discussion about how we should revise the  
problem statement for ESDS.
Feel free to suggest modifications and improvements or even a complete  
re-write!

Best regards,

- Mark Harrison

_______________________________________________
ESDS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/esds