Subject: [Extra] SAVEDATE: how to handle mailboxes without support

From: Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 13:46:04 +1100

This is the only outstanding issue for this draft.  I quite like the
idea proposed during IETF101, a boolean search key SAVEDATESUPPORTED
which can be used to create search queries that work for both mailboxes
that do and don't support SAVEDATE.
There are two proposed ways to handle mailboxes where
SAVEDATESUPPORTED is false.  One option is that SAVED* searches always
return false as well:
e.g.

1 SEARCH OR SAVEDSINCE 01-Jan-2018 AND NOT SAVEDATESUPPORTED SINCE
01-Jan-2018-- find everything added to this mailbox since the start of the year,
falling back to INTERNALDATE only if SAVEDATESUPPORTED is false.
2 SEARCH SAVEDBEFORE 01-Jan-2018
-- find everything to purge that's been in this mailbox since before
this year, but only if SAVEDATE is supported so we never purge anything
that may have been old, but only moved here recently.
The alternative proposal is that SAVED* keys act on INTERNALDATE rather
than SAVEDATE if SAVEDATESUPPORTED is false.  I can also work with this,
by using something like:
1 SEARCH  SAVEDSINCE 01-Jan-2018

2 SEARCH SAVEDATESUPPORTED SAVEDBEFORE 01-Jan-2018

Looking at these two options, I'm actually quite OK with either!  The
main concern whether people will purge too much mail, or not find enough
mail, depending which is which.
Cheers,

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, FastMail Pty Ltd
  [email-masked]