Subject: [Extra] AD review of draft-ietf-extra-imap-unauth-00.txt

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 15:20:49 +0300

Hi,
This is my belated review of the document. As I only had 1 question, I
didn't think it needed delaying IETF LC:

3.  UNAUTHENTICATE Command

   Arguments:  None

   Responses:  no specific response for this command

   Result:     OK - completed, now in not authenticated state
               BAD - command unknown or arguments invalid

   This command directs the server to reset all connection state, except
   for state at the TLS [RFC5465] layer.  Upon completion, the server
   connection is placed in not authenticated state.  This represents
   transition 7 in the State Machine Diagram (Section 5).

   If a mailbox was selected, the mailbox ceases to be selected but no
   expunge event is generated.  If a SASL [RFC4422] security layer was
   active, it terminates immediately after the server sends the CRLF
   following the OK response.  For the client, it terminates immediately
   after the CRLF following the UNAUTHENTICATE command.

Does this mean that the SASL security layer ends for the client even if
the server returns BAD? I understand that this is very unlikely. Maybe
you should clarify that the server MUST NOT return BAD response to the
client if it advertises this extension.