Subject: [Extra] I-D Action: draft-ietf-extra-imap-objectid-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 01:50:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Email mailstore and eXtensions To Revise or Amend WG of the IETF.

        Title           : IMAP Extension for object identifiers
        Author          : Bron Gondwana
	Filename        : draft-ietf-extra-imap-objectid-03.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2018-05-28

Abstract:
   This document updates RFC3501 (IMAP4rev1) with persistent identifiers
   on mailboxes and messages to allow clients to more efficiently re-use
   cached data when resources have changed location on the server.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-extra-imap-objectid/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-extra-imap-objectid-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-extra-imap-objectid-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-extra-imap-objectid-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Timo Sirainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 16:05:46 +0300

Review: OK, but unlike MAILBOXID and EMAILID, it doesn't say if THREADIDs can change. I suppose it should be the same that in disaster recovery those might have to be rebuilt. But would that require having a new MAILBOXID or UIDVALIDITY to the mailbox? Actually, the question applies to EMAILIDs also. If clients see the same MAILBOXID and UIDVALIDITY, they might become confused if EMAILIDs or THREADIDs change under them.

---

From: Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 23:28:59 +1000

Hmm, yeah - good point.  It's 11:30pm here now, so I'll look at it
later.  Have a reminder for myself here:
https://github.com/ietfextra/tracking/issues/32

On Thu, May 31, 2018, at 23:05, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Review: OK, but unlike MAILBOXID and EMAILID, it doesn't say if
> THREADIDs can change. I suppose it should be the same that in disaster
> recovery those might have to be rebuilt. But would that require having
> a new MAILBOXID or UIDVALIDITY to the mailbox? Actually, the question
> applies to EMAILIDs also. If clients see the same MAILBOXID and
> UIDVALIDITY, they might become confused if EMAILIDs or THREADIDs
> change under them.> 
> _________________________________________________
> Extra mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/extra

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, FastMail Pty Ltd
  [email-masked]