Subject: [Extra] Working group last call for draft-ietf-extra-imap4rev2-18

From: "Bron Gondwana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 17:03:34 +1000

This is the big one y'all!

Alexey has informed me that he believes IMAP4rev2 is ready for last call.  Please review it thoroughly.  At least the last few diffs.  I have sadly already tossed out my 160 page printout with notes scribbled on it, but I do have my review of an earlier revision to refer to when I do my own review :)

This Working Group Last Call will run for 2 weeks, so it ends on September 30, conveniently at the end of the month.

Enjoy your reading.

Cheers,

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  [email-masked]

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 12:47:17 +0200

Hi,

I had another look, starting with the top. In Special Notes to 
Implementors, I find:

   IMAP4rev2 is largely compatible with
   the IMAP4rev1 protocol described in RFC 3501 and the IMAP4 protocol
   described in RFC 1730; the exception being in certain facilities
   added in RFC 1730 that proved problematic and were subsequently
   removed.

Well, really. Is that it?

I think 1.3 should refer to appendices A-D and add two parapgraphs of 
introduction of the changes since 4r1. It should say... let's see...

That human-readable text can now be unicode, that bigger numbers are 
permitted (but no limits have changed), that CHECK, \RECENT, UNSEEN and 
LSUB are gone. That clients have to send ENABLE. That mailbox names are 
utf8. That the mandatory-to-implement authentication has been updated.

Arnt

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 12:50:12 +0200

On Friday 18 September 2020 12:47:17 CEST, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> I think 1.3 should refer to appendices A-D and add two 
> parapgraphs of introduction of the changes since 4r1. It should 
> say... let's see...

Oh, and it should say that the role of MSNs has diminished; the server will 
always send UID in unsolicited updates. "A complete list of changes can be 
found in Appendix D." as the last sentence.

Arnt