Subject: [Extra] Protocol Action: 'Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) - Version 4rev2' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-extra-imap4rev2-30.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 11:17:53 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) - Version 4rev2'
  (draft-ietf-extra-imap4rev2-30.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Email mailstore and eXtensions To Revise
or Amend Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-extra-imap4rev2/

Technical Summary

   The Internet Message Access Protocol, Version 4rev2 (IMAP4rev2)
   allows a client to access and manipulate electronic mail messages on
   a server.  IMAP4rev2 permits manipulation of mailboxes (remote
   message folders) in a way that is functionally equivalent to local
   folders.  IMAP4rev2 also provides the capability for an offline
   client to resynchronize with the server.

   IMAP4rev2 includes operations for creating, deleting, and renaming
   mailboxes, checking for new messages, permanently removing messages,
   setting and clearing flags, RFC 5322, RFC 2045 and RFC 2231 parsing,
   searching, and selective fetching of message attributes, texts, and
   portions thereof.  Messages in IMAP4rev2 are accessed by the use of
   numbers.  These numbers are either message sequence numbers or unique
   identifiers.

   IMAP4rev2 does not specify a means of posting mail; this function is
   handled by a mail submission protocol such as the one specified in
   RFC 6409.

Working Group Summary

  This document is very long and complex and there was a lot of discussion
  about specific points.  The discussion involved developers from many of
  the largest IMAP4 servers, as well as client authors.

  While there are tradeoffs that had to be made, there's nobody in the
  working group who has expressed unhappiness or concerns about the
  content of this document.

Document Quality

   IMAP is a widely deployed email client protocol.  This document
   presents a revision based on a consensus of extensions and clarifications
   that have become common since the previous revision was posted as
   RFC 3501 in 2003.

   The document has been closely reviewed by many expert IMAP server
   implementers.  No particular directorate or expert reviews beyond the current
   contributors and reviewers are mandated.

Personnel

   Bron Gondwana is the Document Shepherd for this document.
   Murray Kucherawy is the  Responsible Area Director.