Subject: [Extra] Protocol Action: 'IMAP QUOTA Extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-extra-quota-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 08:06:10 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IMAP QUOTA Extension'
  (draft-ietf-extra-quota-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Email mailstore and eXtensions To Revise
or Amend Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Francesca Palombini.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-extra-quota/

Technical Summary

  This spec extends IMAP with additional commands (GETQUOTA, GETQUOTAROOT,
  SETQUOTA) and new STATUS attributes (DELETED and DELETED-STORAGE),
  allowing clients to determine how much space is used by an IMAP account
  and how much additional space might be available.

Working Group Summary

  There was no significant disagreement.  The main questions were around
  whether particular features were worth including, and whether the syntax
  was reliably parseable for OVERQUOTA responses that included tags (they
  were eventually removed as being un-necessary and ambiguous).

Document Quality

  This spec is quite easy to implement.  Most IMAP servers are already
  basically compatible because they have implemented RFC2087.

  There is a normative reference to an experimental RFC (RFC5257) however
  this specification was written in 2008 and is widely enough used that we
  should probably update it to a Proposed Standard as well.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd - Bron Gondwana (EXTRA co-chair)
  Responsible Area Director - Murray Kucherawy