Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-fax-goals-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:05:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Fax Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Terminology and Goals for Internet Fax
	Author(s)	: L. Masinter
	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-goals-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 22-Dec-97
	
Facsimile (Fax) has a long tradition as a telephony application for
sending a document from one terminal device to another, where the
terminal device consists of a paper input device (scanner), a paper
output device (printer), with (a limited amount of) processing power.
Communication over the telephone network is accomplished using modems.
The transmission of data end-to-end is accompanied by negotiation (to
ensure that the scanned data can be rendered at the recipient) and
confirmation of delivery (to give the sender assurance that the final
data has been received and processed.)  Over time, facsimile has been
extended to allow for PCs using fax modems to send and receive fax, to
send data other than scanned facsimile images. In addition, there have
been many extensions to the basic image model, to allow for additional
compression methods and for representation of images with grey-scale
and color. Other delivery extensions have included sub-addressing
(additional signals after the call is established to facilitate
automated routing of faxes to desktops or mailboxes), and enhanced
features such as fax-back, polling, and even the transfer of binary
files.

Many mechanisms for sending fax documents over the Internet have been
demonstrated and deployed and are currently in use. The general
application of using the Internet for the application of facsimile is
Internet Fax.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-fax-goals-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-goals-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-goals-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.