Subject: Protocol Action: File Format for Internet Fax to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:41:02 -0500

The IESG has approved the following five Internet-Drafts as Proposed
Standards:

o File Format for Internet Fax
	<draft-ietf-fax-tiffplus-08.txt>
o Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - image/tiff MIME Sub-type Registration
	<draft-ietf-fax-tiff-reg-06.txt>
o Minimal PSTN address format in Internet Mail 
	<draft-ietf-fax-minaddrgen-02.txt>
o Minimal FAX address format in Internet Mail
	<draft-ietf-fax-minaddrfax-01.txt>
o A Simple Mode of Facsimile Using Internet Mail
	<draft-ietf-fax-service-05.txt> 

The IESG also approved publication of Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - 
F Profile for Facsimile <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-09.txt> as an
Informational RFC.

These documents are the product of the Internet Fax Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are: Harald Alvestrand and Keith Moore.

Technical Summary
 
  These documents taken together form the necessary technical
  specifications for operating a certain class of services on the
  Internet, where a sender using electronic mail and implementing
  these formats can send images to a device that can send these to
  a recipient that has a fax machine, or to another device that
  implements these formats.

  It includes a specification of the image body parts, a
  specification of an addressing format for embedding telephone
  numbers in E-mail addresses, and an overall "service" description.

Working Group Summary

  The group came to consensus on the documents as written.
  Moreover, these documents are also to a large degree agreed to by
  the ITU study group that is defining similar functionality in the
  ITU protocol suite.

Protocol Quality

  The spec was reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand.

Note to RFC Editor:

The IESG requests that the following be inserted into
draft-ietf-fax-minaddrgen-02.txt as an IESG Note:

  IESG NOTE: This memo describes a simple method of encoding PSTN
  addresses in the local-part of Internet email addresses, along
  with an extension mechanism to allow encoding of additional standard
  attributes needed for email gateways to PSTN-based services.

  As with all Internet mail addresses, the left-hand-side (local-
  part) of an address generated according to this specification,
  is not to be interpreted except by the MTA that is named on
  the right-hand-side (domain).

The IESG also requests that the following be inserted into
draft-ietf-fax-minaddrfax-01.txt as an IESG Note:

  IESG NOTE: This memo describes a simple method of encoding PSTN
  addresses of facsimile devices in the local-part of Internet email
  addresses.

  As with all Internet mail addresses, the left-hand-side (local-
  part) of an address generated according to this specification,
  is not to be interpreted except by the MTA that is named on
  the right-hand-side (domain).