Subject: Draft communication letter to ITU-T

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:09:54 +0900 (JST)

Folks,

Draft communication letter to ITU-T is below.
Next ITU-T SG16 meeting is held from May 28 to June 8.

If you have comments, please say by May 10.
                                    ^^^^^^^
[[[]]] is only for this mail. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communication from IETF FAX Working Group on Response for Full Mode and
Terminal Mode and the summary of current activities

Abstract
This letter is to respond to the request made by Q.14/SG16 in the November
SG16 meeting. It also includes current FAX WG activities in relation to T.37.

Introduction
Since November, FAX WG had two meetings last December and last March.
The letter from Q.14/SG16 was inputted to the WG meeting.

1 Response for Full Mode and Terminal Mode
1.1 Full Mode
a)FFPIM
The ITU-T is worried that FFPIM may no longer be discussed in IETF,
since draft-ietf-fax-ffpim-00.txt has been deleted from the IETF data base.
ITU-T requests a new version of FFPIM draft to keep discussion going on
in IETF and a further communication to the ITU-T about it's status.

[[[The 4 lines are originally from ITU-T.]]]

->
The WG has already the new version: draft-ietf-fax-ffpim-01.txt.
Please check it at the IETF site.

b)Full Mode
Item b) in the section 2 Response on Full Mode is not sufficient for
the ITU-T request, that describes there is no direct discussion in IETF
Fax WG about Item b) Fax processed status information. Fax processed status
such as number of pages received and error page number are very important
for Internet Fax Full Mode to perform same level of confirmation as G3fax.
Since the Fax WG is not the WG to handle about the issue as the IETF Fax WG
co-chair explained, ITU-T people will write IETF Internet Draft for the issue
under the consultation of the IETF FAX WG chair.
Item a) and c) in the section 2 were accepted

[[[The above 9 lines are originally from ITU-T.]]]

->
Fortunately, The WG started discussing this issue. There is one I-D:
draft-maeda-faxwg-fax-processing-status-00.txt. (It is updated to -01
in our ML, but, you can only find as -00 at the IETF site.) It addresses
the fax processing status such as the information about successful
received pages, using MDN extension field.
We believe that the I-D meets your requests.

The WG agrees to add it in the milestone. The targeted WG Last Call is
December IETF meeting.

1.2 Terminal Mode
T.37 Terminal Mode which supports the transfer of image data, capabilities
exchange and confirmation for Store and Forward internet fax terminals
having limited memory and small CPU power, was proposed in the meeting.
The Terminal Mode extends Internet fax capabilities to enable all features
of Group 3 facsimile to be supported on the Internet using T.30 signals
in capability exchange. The mode will be implemented on G3FAX based
Internet Fax terminals which communicate using G3 mode in PSTN and
Terminal Mode in Internet. The terminal may have gateway functions
between G3Fax and Internet Fax Terminal Mode. The one of the objectives
of Terminal Mode is a simple protocol for ROM oriented fax devices not
for PC based E-mail client. The Terminal Mode may not be able to communicate
to Simple Mode and Full Mode directory. 
(1)Is it able to add Terminal Mode in the charter of Fax WG
for technical discussion in IETF?
(2)If the charter will not be able amended to discuss Terminal Mode
in the Fax WG, IETF is requested to provide reasons for their decisions
with required to whether proceed or not proceed the Terminal Mode in IETF.

[[[The above 17 lines are originally from ITU-T.]]]

->
Fortunately, our WG also started discussing it. There are two I-Ds:
draft-maeda-faxwg-terminal-mode-goals-00.txt and
draft-maeda-faxwg-terminal-mode-protocol-00.txt. (They are updated to -01
in our ML, but, you can only find as -00 at the IETF site.). They include
almost the same proposal as the one in ITU-T. With regard to adding it
in the WG's charter, some items under discussion could reach to agreement
without modifying the WG's charter. The WG are not sure that all of them
can be included in it. It depends on the future discussion.

The WG agrees to add it in the milestone. The targeted WG Last Call is
December IETF meeting.

2 Current FAX WG's activities in relation to T.37
2.1 Draft Standard Consideration on Simple mode RFCs
There are the following I-Ds that the WG is now requesting to IESG
for Draft Standard consideration.
- draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-09.txt (that will obsolete RFC 2301)
- draft-ietf-fax-minaddr-v2-03.txt (that will obsolete RFC 2303)
- draft-ietf-fax-faxaddr-v2-03.txt (that will obsolete RFC 2304)
Along with draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-09.txt, the group is requesting
draft-ietf-fax-tiff-regbis-02.txt that will obsolete RFC 2302 should be BCP.
IESG already checked the contents, therefore, the WG thinks IESG will
approve them soon.

With regard to RFC 2305, there is a draft-ietf-fax-service-v2-03.txt.
The WG Last Call has already finished. Sooner or later, the WG will request
to IESG for Draft Standard consideration. But, it has a dependency issues.
In order to become Draft Standard, all normative references must be
Draft Standard. It refers RFC 2301, 2304 and 1894 normatively.
These are not Draft Standard, but some WGs including FAX WG are trying
to move them to Draft Standard. After all of them becomes Draft Standard,
this I-D will be publised.

2.2 Implementer's guide
The I-D draft-ietf-fax-implementers-guide-07.txt addresses implementation
guidance for published RFCs such as RFC 2301, RFC 2305 and RFC 2532.
It is at the final stage. The WG Last Call has already finished.
The WG has requested IESG consideration for informational RFC.

The WG understands that T.37 will refer it in some ways. After it becomes
RFC, The WG will notify it.

2.3 Otheres
The WG is also discussing both FFPIM(Full-mode Fax Profile for Internet Mail)
and TIFF-FX extension, which the WG already introduced in the communication
letter that was sent in the last SG16 meeting. For your information,
the latest versions are described below.
- draft-ietf-fax-ffpim-00.txt
- draft-ietf-fax-timely-delivery-01.txt
- draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-03.txt
- draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-extension1-01.txt

Finally...
IETF FAX WG welcomes any comments from Q.14/SG16. The WG hopes the good
relationship can continue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
--
Hiroshi Tamura, Co-chair of IETF-FAX WG
E-mail: [email-masked]