Subject: Use of ENUM RFC2916 by Internet Fax

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 16:35:01 -0500

At 07:34 AM 2/1/2002 +

You may be aware that the ENUM WG is shortly going to be revising its core 
protocol RFC2916 and one of the core issues is how the NAPTR service fields 
shall be defined by applications.

Part of this process will be a specific IANA registration for the service 
field.

I'm wondering if there is any interest in the Internet Fax WG defining how 
its applications could use ENUM etc.

The ENUM WG will be meeting in MN ..if there is any interest I could stop 
by the FAX WG to answer questions etc.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:36:43 +0900 (JST)

Richard,

Thanks for letting us know.

> by the FAX WG to answer questions etc.

We have the Addressing I-D by Claudio now. So, I think it is meaningful.

Claudio,
is it OK for you?

Richard,
10 minutes presentation including Q&A is enough for you?

--
Hiroshi Tamura, Co-chair of IETF-FAX WG
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:03:22 +0100

> We have the Addressing I-D by Claudio now. So, I think it is meaningful.

Yes!

The "phone number syntax" (actually it is not addressing) I-D just gives 
the way to write down E.164 numbers in a text string, but ENUM 
capabilities an be used by I-fax... just a few ones: is there an I-fax 
gateway associated to that E.164 number? ...

Claudio

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:28:04 -0500

>gateway associated to that E.164 number? ...

True but then you get into the famous ENUM vs TRIP issues :-)

  ...but of particular interest to some of us in the ENUM WG is the issue 
of how granular must the NAPTR service field be for any particular application.

Internet Fax represents a interesting case since it is based on SMTP the 
question what hinds of hints might be required to identify the capabilities 
of the endpoint come to the forefront. It back to the old issues of how do 
you discover the capabilities of a IFax client that haunted the Simple 
mode. Well that was the basis for most of the RESCAP work but at least in 
ENUM you can query in advance of sending the document and discover not only 
the URL for the endpoint but perhaps pointers to its capabilities.

Is there requirements for things like  [ IFAX-S+E2U ] for the simple mode 
?  [ IFAX-FX+E2U] for advanced?  I don't know. This is why a discussion 
ENUM applicability to fax could be very interesting.

I'll plan on a simple review of where the ENUM WG is going..