Subject: [FECFRAME-PROTO] Comments to draft-ietf-fecframe-framework-01.txt

From: "Rajiv Asati (rajiva)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:27:17 -0500

Hi Mark,

While working on the signaling draft, I reviewed the framework-01 draft
a bit carefully, and got the following (minor) comments for our
consideration -

~~~~~~~~~~
1) Section 1- Introduction
.....It is expected that any complete content delivery protocol
specification which makes use of this framework will address these
signalling requirement(s).

TO
.....It is expected that any complete content delivery protocol
specification which makes use of this framework will also make use of a
signalling protocol to satisfy signalling requirement(s). The signalling
protocol is part of the FEC framework.

2) Section 4- Architecture Overview
.....The FEC framework does not define how the FEC framework
configuration information for the stream is communicated from sender to
receiver. This must be defined by any content delivery protocol
specification as described in the following section.

TO
.....The FEC framework defines the usage of any signaling protocol by
which FEC framework configuration information for the stream is
communicated from sender to receiver. This must be adopted by any
content delivery protocol specification making use of the FEC Framework.

3) Section 6- Protocol Overview
Change the title to "Building Block Overview", since Protocol doesn't
quite convey what protocol it is.

4) Section 2- Terminology

4.1 - Clarify the definition of 'Source Payload ID' and 'Repair Payload
ID' a bit more. For example, Repair FEC Payload ID -- A FEC Payload ID
to identify the source block and the mapping between the contained
repair data and the original source block. Source Payload ID -- A FEC
Payload ID to identify the mapping of source packet(s) with a source
block.

4.2 - Add definition for "Restoration Window" (based on last meeting) as
well as "instance" (which is used heavily in SDP Elements draft).
We are freely interchanging stream and flow terms. Need to define them
and use them appropriately.  Suggest to stick with Flow.

5) Section 6 - Protocol Specification
Are 'Source FEC Payload ID' and 'Repair Payload ID' conveyed by sender
to receiver using the singaling protocol? Are they the same? Not clear
in 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3.

6) Section 6.5 - Why is FEC Framework Instance not a mandatory info
The configuration information is to be formulated for each FEC framework
instance. Hence, we should mandatorily include the "instance"
identifier, if not already.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheers,
Rajiv
_______________________________________________
FECFRAME-PROTO mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fecframe-proto