Subject: Re: Please consider last call on draft-ietf-forces-framework-02.t xt

From: "Syed, Jeelani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:55:46 -0400

Hi,

Sometimes you may have to run protocol counterparts(agents) on
FEs for protocols running on CEs to avoid packet latencies and
increase scalability. This draft doesn't talk abt that,
Is it because its too soon to talk abt it?

regards,

-jeelani.sm

-----Original Message-----
From: Yang, Lily L [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 8:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Please consider last call on draft-ietf-forces-framework-02.txt

Hi,
We just submitted a new version of the ForCES framework draft.
Several people on the list have given us comments on the previous (ver01)
draft and we've incorporated all into this version.

Most of the change are minor, including:
        1) fixing Fig 6 (a) to make it really full mesh
        2) Moving the Abstract and Table of Contents to the front.
        3) Other editorial changes to improve clarity throughout the draft

A more significant modification is in section  5.7. "Application Layer --
Network Management Protocol". Per comments from T. Sridhar, when we talk
about how SNMP is supported in ForCES, we suggest that "AgentX framework
defined in RFC2741 may be applied here such that CEs act in the role of
master agent to process SNMP protocol messages while FEs act in the role of
subagent to provide access to the MIB objects residing on FEs. AgentX
protocol messages between the master agent (CE) and the subagent (FE) are
encapsulated and transported via ForCES, just like data packets from any
other application layer protocols."

Accordingly, a new reference to RFC2741 is also added in the "normative
reference" section.

As always, comments are welcome.

The co-authors feel that this framework draft has been through several
iterations and seems pretty stable now. So we would like the working group
chairs to consider last call on this version.

Thanks,
Lily

 <<draft-ietf-forces-framework-02.txt>>

---

From: Patrick Droz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:08:07 +0200

Jeelani,

there are some statments about this in the requirements
draft.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-forces-requirements-06.txt
Section 6.5.  Point 8) Off-load Functions

Regards,
Patrick

--
   Dr. Patrick Droz                     | [email-masked]
   IBM Zurich Research Laboratory       | http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~dro
   Saumerstrasse 4                      | Tel. +41-1-724-85-25 CH-8803
   Rueschlikon/Switzerland              | Fax. +41-1-724-85-78