Subject: Re: Framework 08 and proximity

From: "Yang, Lily L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:10:00 -0700

Avri -- 
What about the following new text in place of the old one?

[old] "The ForCES Working Group has made a conscious decision that the 
    first version of ForCES will not be designed to support 
    configurations where the CE and FE are located arbitrarily in the 
    network.  In particular, ForCES is intended for "very close" CE/FE 
    localities in IP networks, as defined by ForCES Applicability 
    Statement ([7]).  "
[new] "The ForCES Working Group has made a conscious decision that the 
    first version of ForCES will be focused on "very close" CE/FE 
    localities in IP networks, as defined by ForCES Applicability 
    Statement ([7]).  "

Lily

-----Original Message-----
From: avri [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 11:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Framework 08 and proximity

While the applicability  statement is limiting us to not working on
other then very close proximity at the moment and the charter restricts
us to close proximity, I think that is different then saying the
protocol "will not be designed to support ..." (4.2.1).

The argument given for not working on other then very close proximity
was that remote proximity was a superset of the close proximity case. I
think this mean that while no extra measures need to be taken to support
remote proximity, one should avoid doing anything that might prevent
eventual extension to remote proximity.

a.

---

From: avri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:30:36 +0900

Hi Lily,

That is acceptable to me.  Thanks.

One practical comment, since there is no guarantee that the
Applicability Statement will be published by the time you release the
Framework, you may want to include the definition instead of defining
it by reference.  I think this may be necessary since there was another
conscious decision, I believe, to not rush the publication of the
Applicability Statement.

a.