Subject: Pre-association phase and the Forces protocol

From: avri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:34:59 +0900

Hi,

In reading the framework and in listening to conversations about
pre-association phase, something has been concerning me.    and it has
taken me a while to start focusing in on it.

While it is true that ForCES WG is not currently responsible for
discussing what happens in the pre-association phase, I think there is
something that is being overlooked.  The pre association phase does not
occur only at t0, or during re-association after a disruption in
association,  in the operation of a NE.   Once a first CE (or a number
of CEs) and a first FE (or a number of FEs) are associated, it is
possible for more forces protocol elements to be added to the mix.
Thus while the post-association phase in ongoing in one part of the
system the pre-association phase can be  ongoing in another.

For example in the Framework, in section 3, it is discussed that the FE
and CE managers only have a function in the pre-association phase
(something in itself I am not sure about - discussed below) and
therefore are not further considered.  Yet, the effect on the entire NE
of FEs being added and thus changing the FE topology needs to be
considered.  Likewise, if the capabilities of a FE is changed once it
is in operation by action from an external source (e.g. a CE manager or
some other management entity) the CE set must be informed (req 14).
while this is briefly mentioned in the Framework (4.3.2), I don't
believe the full effect of the ongoing pre-association phase under the
conditions of dynamic leaving and rejoining (req 5 - 12) has been
adequately described.

In regards to  the FE and CE manager only being involved during the
Pre-association phase.  While the requirements only state that that
they operate in the pro-association phase, I see no limitation on them
also having a management relation to the FPEs during the
post-association phase.  In fact if we look forward to a future with
dynamic re-association of resources and partitioning of resources, this
post-association management activity will need to be part of the
architecture.  Note, it is not just well defined CE and FE managers
that can affect the NE, but the omnipresent CLI as well.

a.

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:51:52 -0400

> system the pre-association phase can be  ongoing in another.

This is correct. Theres constant communication between FE/CE manager and
the FE/CE forces component. To note that FE<->FEmanager is a separate
protocol/mechanism.

> conditions of dynamic leaving and rejoining (req 5 - 12) has been

It should be. Good catch - i was sort of assuming the description you
gave.

> that can affect the NE, but the omnipresent CLI as well.

Yep, although i would think the above is imp. specific.

cheers,
jamal