Subject: ForCES protocol analysis design team - Report out ! (continued...)

From: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:34:58 -0800

Hi All

Here is a list of high level design ideas/principles that the team
agreed on...

All ForCES protocol messages should consist of a common fixed size
header and variable size payload fields. 

All ForCES protocol messages should be 32-bit aligned.

The ForCES protocol payload consists of a number of variable size TLVs
i.e. all ForCES messages must/should use TLV encoding. The TLVs should
also be
32-bit aligned. The details of the TLV encoding structure are TBD.

The ForCES protocol must support the discovery of static capabilities of
an FE. The protocol may also support dynamic capabilities when they are
supported by the FEs.

The ForCES protocol should support logical addressing for multicast,
broadcast in addition to unicast.

The ForCES protocol will mandate a minimum set of transports for data
and control communication for interoperability reasons.

The ForCES protocol will take advantage of underlying
transports/interconnects to provide features such as reliability,
security to keep the protocol design itself simple.

The ForCES protocol will run directly over layer 2 interconnects. It can
either use additional TLVs or encapsulation headers or transports such
as TIPC to provide the missing functionality such as reliability,
fragmentation, etc.

Regards
Hormuzd

---

From: Jon Maloy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:48:14 -0500

Hi,
I was ill a couple of days, so I could not comment on Hormuzd's
list until now. Anyway, you can cont me in on the consensus, I think
this is a great achievement.

/jon

>as TIPC to provide the missing functionality such as reliability,

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.