Subject: metadata

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:12:09 -0500

-Is the modelling assuming the metadata to be of a certain size?
Last time i suggested a type/tag:lenght:value model, not sure
i got a response or not.

-I dont see a mention whether multiple types of metadatum could
be received by the same LFB or produced by an LFB.

- I am not sure if the classifier is a good example of a variable
producer. Seems to me it produces only one type of metadata with a
tag of CLASS_ID. A good example would be the IPV4 LPM example i gave
earlier which may create a NHLFE_ID tag or NH_ID tag.

- I am still struggling to follow the redirector example in 3.2.4.3
which conditionaly uses a classid or protocoltype as its work selector.
Care to explain a little more?

- On enumeration and binding; isnt all metadata always bound at some
point. I.e if theres a producer, there has to be a consumer.
And when it is bound, doesnt it have to be enumerated? (maybe not as
exhaustively as a simple meter).

- on explicit metadata: Why does it make a difference what the metadata
is used for? if the result is a table update, a packet creation,
shrinking, expansion etc - why is it important to distinguish how that
metadata is used?

cheers,
jamal