Subject: generic network and element models

From: Abid Ghufran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 05:51:13 -0500

I am assisting someone do a thesis. For that it is required to have a
"generic network model", over which to simulate various transport
mechanisms. My queries are with this perspective.

My questions are with reference to the "products" of this working group,
particularly those stated as follows:

  "A set of requirements for mechanisms to logically separate the control
and data forwarding planes of an IP network element (NE)."

  "An architectural framework defining the entities comprising a ForCES
network element and identifying the interactions between them."

 "A description of the functional model of a Forwarding Element."

To me this imply that during the course of work, there will be a generic
functional model of some sort, that will be used as a functional forwarding
element.

If this were the case then my questions would be:

1) Is it possible to build a generic network model (from simulation and
analysis point of view), solely comprising of ForCES network elements?

2) While developing an architectural framework, defining the entities
comprising a ForCES network element, was a model of a "generic network
element" utilized?

3) How do you plan to carry out the study, of incorporating or embedding,
the ForCES network element (comprising of whatever aspects), into the
existing networks, comprising of non-ForCES framework(s)?

I realize that these queries might be a bit vauge with respect to their
significance. Still I would request your assistance and shall be very
grateful if somehow I am able to have an insight into these issues.

Regards,

Abid Ghufran.