Subject: TCP/IP TML: IETF ForCES WG Update

From: "Chawla, Shuchi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:44:54 -0800

Hello all,

I am attaching the presentation on the "TCP/IP based TML for ForCES
Protocol" that was presented at the IETF ForCES WG meeting.  Here are
the main topics that were discussed during the meeting:

- High Availability: A question came up regarding the specification of
control and data channels between the standby CE(s) and an FE to
minimize failover time from the active CE to the standby CE.  In the
model where the standby CE is "passive", the only communication over
this channel might be the heartbeat.  The question was related to why
the draft was specifying this functionality - depending on the hardware,
it may not be possible to set up channels between active and standby CEs
at the same time.  Moreover, CE liveness may be detected using an
inter-CE protocol.  The conclusion was that the TCP/TML draft not
specify anything in this regard, since this is not the TML's decision to
make, and is very dependent on the HA model in place (load balanced CEs
versus redundant standby CEs etc.).

- Multicast Model:  The use of the receiver initiated multicast model
was questioned (this discussion has already been on going in the mailing
list).   With respect to the set up of multicast for ForCES use,
CE-configured multicast was recommended as the preferred model.  Use of
this model would also likely eliminate the need for TML control messages
to join and leave multicast groups as current specified in the draft.
 
- Data Channel Protocol: Concern was expressed wrt. the use of the PL
Header for all messages on the data channel (this discussion has already
been on going in the mailing list).  The protocol for the data channel
is an area that requires further investigation. 

- TML Service Interface: It was decided that a Service Interface be
specified for the TML (for use by the PL).  Since this service interface
is common to all TMLs, and would be used by the PL, the suggestion was
made to add it to the PL draft.

The decision was made to accept the TCP/IP TML draft as a Working Group
item.

Regards,
Shuchi