Subject: [issue11] Hearbeat piggy-backing - It would be good to support some sort of piggy-backing of heartbeats over other messages. When a PL message arrives at an element, this may also be treated as a PL heartbeat, as it shows that the sender is indeed alive. - The FE Protocol LFB should have a flag to control this option, so that the FE knows whether it has to send hearbeat messages periodically, or if it can skip sending them whenever PL messages have just been sent. Hearbeat piggy-backing - It would be good to support some sort of piggy-backing of heartbeats over other messages. When a PL messag

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:42:01 +0000

New submission from Avri Doria <[email-masked]>:

Submitted by Haleplidis Evangelos

- It would be good to support some sort of piggy-backing of heartbeats
over other messages. When a PL message arrives at an element, this may
also be treated as a PL heartbeat, as it shows that the sender is indeed
alive.

-  The FE Protocol LFB should have a flag to control this option, so that
the FE knows whether it has to send hearbeat messages periodically, or if
it can skip sending them whenever PL messages have just been sent.

Response from Weiming Wang

Yes, I think it is valuable to have a try to exploit the generic heartbeat
function from general protocol messages to save resources. It's actually not
very comlex to realize the scheme. To have a heartbeat message acts only as a
gap filler between messages with longer time interval than a predefined period,
and to let the scheme as only one of several heartbeat policies.
I hope this view can be considered by protocol team.

----------
category: Technical
draft: draft-ietf-forces-protocol
messages: 26
nosy: avri
priority: May fix
status: Pending
title: Hearbeat piggy-backing

- It would be good to support some sort of piggy-backing of heartbeats
over other messages. When a PL message arrives at an element, this may
also be treated as a PL heartbeat, as it shows that the sender is indeed
alive.

-  The FE Protocol LFB should have a flag to control this option, so that
the FE knows whether it has to send hearbeat messages periodically, or if
it can skip sending them whenever PL messages have just been sent.
Hearbeat piggy-backing

- It would be good to support some sort of piggy-backing of heartbeats
over other messages. When a PL message arrives at an element, this may
also be treated as a PL heartbeat, as it shows that the sender is indeed
alive.

-  The FE Protocol LFB should have a flag to control this option, so that
the FE knows whether it has to send hearbeat messages periodically, or if
it can skip sending them whenever PL messages have just been sent.
Heartbeats and piggy back

___________________________________________________
Forces issue tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://www.mip4.org/issues/tracker/forces/issue11>
___________________________________________________