Subject: Ftp-WG: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ftpext-sec-consider-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:33:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Extensions to FTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: FTP Security Considerations
	Author(s)	: M. Allman, S. Ostermann
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ftpext-sec-consider-02.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 21-Oct-98
	
    The specification for the File Transfer Protocol contains a number
    of mechanisms that can be used to compromise network security.  The
    FTP specification allows a client to instruct a server to transfer
    files to a third machine.  This third-party mechanism, known as
    proxy FTP, causes a well known security problem.  The FTP
    specification also allows an unlimited number of attempts at
    entering a user's password.  This allows brute force 'password
    guessing' attacks.  This document provides suggestions for system
    administrators and those implementing FTP servers that will decrease
    the security problems associated with FTP.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ftpext-sec-consider-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ftpext-sec-consider-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ftpext-sec-consider-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.