Subject: Ftp-WG: Quick MLST/MLSD questions.

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:00:10 -0400

Well, the two options, which are effectively transparency vs accuracy, could
be toggled between by some option.

Can we have an option which specifies the transprency requirements?
Defaulting to the "transparent" - that is, a shortcut or equivalent should
be treated as another name for the same file.

Otherwise, a shortcut is a real file (under windows) and a symbolic link is
listed as a symbolic link under UNIX - should the client explicitly state
that this is what it wants?

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Tihor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 2:58 PM
To: FTPEXT Working Group
Subject: Ftp-WG: Quick MLST/MLSD questions.

There are two moderately different virtual file system models possible here.

the shortcut is treated like a link.   RETR it and you upload the thing it
points to.  STOR it and you replace the thing it points to. (?)  In that
case
MLS* it and you should get the stats for the thing it points to with the
shortcut's attributes as OS specific facts at best.  The same unique fact as
the thing it points to. 

The shortcut is a special file.    RETR it and you get its pointer value, 
STOR it and you make a new shortcut (?).  MLS* it and you get the stats for
the
shortcut as file plus perhaps an OS specific pointer to the underlying file.

A different unique fact.

---

From: Stephen Tihor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:31:17 -0400

If the virtual file system is transparent then the additional information
should be popping up in OS specific tags in MLS* for the softer links like
symlinks and shortcuts so that one can upload and restore the data somehow.
THough absent a MWR* or something to set file properties its not clear we can 
do it in any case.